Adjunct Professor of Marketing
Strategic Advisor to the Dean
Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area of Expertise: Marketing
Email: [email protected]
T. N. Swaminathan Ph.D., is currently Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Director, Branding, PR & Alumni Relations at Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai.
His career has spanned for 45 years plus , both in Industry & Academics. He has worked for close to 33 years in companies like HLL, Wipro, Shaw Wallace, Dynavision, Geoffrey Manners, Dabur and Tate & Lyle North America. His experience is rich a blend of in-depth urban, rural and international marketing, sales and distribution, turnaround and heading SBUs.
A Microbiologist turned MBA (IIM-Calcutta), he has cross functional experience arising out of a strong R&D, Systems, Sales & Marketing and a Strategic thinking background in MNCs & Indian organizations of repute. Prior to moving to Chennai in 2004, he was the CEO (Vice President & Business Head) of Tate & Lyle North America’s J V in India before taking up an international B2B assignment with Tate & Lyle North America. He continued till 2006 as a retainer to Tate & Lyle North America to advise on South & South East Asia. He has been involved in Turnaround of several SBU’s of HLL, Shaw Wallace, Dabur& Bharath Starch amongst others. Currently he is a consultant for some renown Chennai based companies.
Dr. Swaminathan has been teaching since 1992 - Marketing, Sales & Strategic Management courses & MDPs as Visiting / Guest Faculty at IIMC, IIMB, IIM Ranchi, KC Institute of Management-Mumbai, IMT-Ghaziabad, IMI- Delhi, Fore school Delhi, BIM-Trichy, ITM-Chennai etc. He was Head - External Relations & Adjunct Professor at IFMR-Chennai from 2005 before moving to Great Lakes in 2008 as Director-External Relations & Professor of Marketing. He was the Program Director for the flagship Program PGPM in Great Lakes during 2010-2012.
Dr. Swaminathan’s publications include several Peer Reviewed Research papers in leading Indian and International publications, Case studies Published in Ivey Richard Case collection , Emerald Emerging Markets case Study Collection and IMT Case Journal and a Coffee Table Book. Besides, his articles have been published in Forbes India, ET, BLoC, BW Disrupt, Tech Story, Deccan Herald, Metropolis, Paradigm among others , and he has reviewed text books for Pearson Prentice Hall & Vijay Nicole. He is a peer reviewer in National & International journals of repute besides being in Doctoral Committees at SRM & VIT Universities. He is currently authoring a Text Book “Digital Marketing From Fundamentals to Future ” for Cengage India publications.
His areas of interest are: IoT & Industry 4.0.,Brand Marketing, Strategic Marketing, Services Marketing, B2B , Sports Management & Retailing besides Turning Around Companies.
LIST OF REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS
- Swaminathan T.N., (Author) and Karthik Kumar (Co-Author), 2019, Digital Marketing – From Fundamental to Future. Cengage India (ISBN-13: 9789353501532)
- Swaminathan T.N., and Karthik Kumar (2018 - in Print) “Digital Marketing – From Fundamental to Future” – Cengage India , New Delhi .
- Swaminathan,T.N. (Editor) (2014) Global Mindset Indian Roots – Thought Leadership and Beyond. Pg. 122 Emerald Publishers, New Delhi, India. (ISBN :978-81-7966-392-9)
- Swaminathan T.N., Rajan C.R., Uma Rao Ganduri., (2019) - Mission K-54: turning around the US$3bn Indian auto major – Ashok Leyland", Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, (2019), https://doi.org/10.1108/EEMCS-01-2019-0015
- Swaminathan T.N., and Rajan C.R., (2018) - Eggscellence : SKM Egg Products Export (India) Ltd. Ivey Case Collection - https://www.iveycases.com/ProductView.aspx?id=95546Product Number: 9B18A030 Publication Date: 05/24/2018
- Swaminathan T.N, and Arun , T. (2014) ‘Aachi – Spicing up a Growth Trajectory’ Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, March 2014. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/EEMCS-09-2013-0185,(ISSN – 2045-0621.
- Swaminathan T.N, and Arun , T. ‘Jade Magnet - Growing a Creative Crowd-sourcing Enterprise’,(2013) Ivey Case Collection - Product No. 9B13M085 – 9/20/2013 https://www.iveycases.com/ProductView.aspx?id=60053
- Xavier M.J.,Arun, T and Swaminathan T.N. (2011) ‘Call taxi service on the Fast Track’, 2010, IMT Case Journal ,1 (1) .Pp 1-13 (ISSN- 2269- 6743)
RESEARCH PAPERS ( PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS)
- Viswanathan,P.K. and Swaminathan, T.N. (2017) Quantifying the relative importance of key drivers of Landing Page. Indian Journal of Marketing Indian Journal of Marketing, 47(11) ,pp.24 - 35 (ISSN 0973-8703)
- Rajan, C.R., Swaminathan, T.N. & Pavithra, M. (2017) Key Drivers of Purchase Intent by Indian Consumers in Omni-channel Shopping. Indian Journal of Marketing,47(5) 7-20.
- Swaminathan,T.N., and Viswanathan,P.K.,(2015) “Social Marketing - Awareness & Satisfaction Levels of Government Aided Health Insurance Project in Rural Tamil Nadu”,Indian Journal of Marketing, 45(6),pp. 7-20(ISSN 0973-8703)
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Viswanathan.P.K(2014)“ Drivers of Consumer Attitudes and their impact on FastFood outlets in India”,Academy of Taiwan Business management Review , 10(2), pp.102-114 (ISSN – 1813-0534) – ABDC “B”
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Balasubramanian .G.(2014)“Drivers of Quality Management in Selected Pharmaceutical Companies in Tamil Nadu - A Chi Square Approach to Validation” ,Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 7 (2) pp. 5-15 (ISSN – 0975-2854)
- Swaminathan, T.N. ,Amar Harish and Binoy Cherian(2013)“Effect of Social Media Outreach Engagement in Institutions of Higher Learning in India”,Asia Pacific Journal of Management Research and Innovation, 9(4), pp.349-357 (ISSN – 2319-510X)
- Swaminathan, T.N. ,Viswanathan P.K. and Mehta, Niyati (2013) “Consumer Preference And Effectiveness Of OOH (Out Of Home) Media In India”, Academy of Taiwan Business management Review, 9 (3), pp.122-131. (ISSN – 1813-0534)
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Balasubramanian, G (2013) “Drivers of Quality Management in Select Pharmaceutical Companies in Tamilnadu – a Rotated Factor Matrix Approach”, Academy of Taiwan Business management Review, 9(2), pp.106-115 (ISSN – 1813-0534)
- Swaminathan, T.N. ( 1998) “Supercomplan : Five Commandments” , Paradigm 1 (2) pp 82-85
- Renting Mind Space – Metropolis – May 1992
- STRATCOMPLAN - Heads or Tails , Brand Equity - November, 1993
- Back to brand basics – BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) June 2016
- IoT: consumer paradise or privacy nightmare? BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) July 2016
- How technology is transforming sports-BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) August 2016
- Demystifying Machine Learning – BW Disrupt – May 15, 2017 http://bwdisrupt.businessworld.in/article/Demystifying-Machine-Learning-/15-05-2017-118157/
- Machine Learning Job Loss or Not ? – BW Disrupt – May 27, 2017 - http://bwdisrupt.businessworld.in/article/Machine-Learning-Job-Loss-or-Not-/26-05-2017-118941/
- A Paradigm Shift – Experiential Learning - June 7, 2017 – Deccan Herald Print Edition -http://www.deccanherald.com/content/616032/a-paradigm-shift.html
- Demystifying MarTecha.k.a Marketing Technology – June 27, 2017 – Tech Story http://techstory.in/demystifying-marketing-technology/
- Leveraging IoT to travel on the GST highway – July 3, 2017 – Business Standard on line http://www.business-standard.com/content/b2b-manufacturing-industry/leveraging-iot-to-travel-on-the-gst-highway-117062900580_1.html
- From Horseless to Driverless – Next big opportunity for tech ? – October 9, 2017 , Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/from-horseless-to-driverless-next-big-opportunity-for-tech/48311/1
- From driverless cars to pilotless aircrafts - Can new technologies break perception barriers? – October 25 , 2017, Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/from-driverless-cars-to-pilotless-aircrafts/48477/1
- The Emerging Landscape of E-Retailing & The Millennials Business World , October 28, 2017 http://businessworld.in/article/The-Emerging-Landscape-of-E-Retailing-The-Millennials/28-10-2017-129782/
- Chennai Rains: IoT enabled smarter waste management,DT Next Chennai,December3,2017 http://www.dtnext.in/News/City/2017/12/03232946/1054233/Chennai-Rains-IoT-Enabled-Smarter-Waste-Management.vpf?TId=112132
- Technology In Marketing Communication – Is It RIP For Traditional Media? , Business World April 14, 2018 ,http://businessworld.in/article/Technology-In-Marketing-Communication-Is-It-RIP-For-Traditional-Media-/14-04-2018-146341/
- Triple entry accounting & Block Chain - Are they vaccines for financial scams ? April 22, 2018 Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/triple-entry-accounting-block-chain-are-they-vaccines-for-financial-scams-/49945/1
- AIMLA – The new Mantra for Technology ! June 13, 2018 Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/aimla-the-new-mantra-for-technology/50467/1
- Career In Marketing: Going Digital Traditionally , October 5, 2018, BW Education http://bweducation.businessworld.in/article/Career-In-Marketing-Going-Digital-Traditionally-/05-10-2018-161332/
- It’s important to get the basics right….October 11, 2018, (Deccan Herald) DH Education supplement https://www.deccanherald.com/supplements/dh-education/it-s-important-get-basics-697186.html
- Supply Chain Industry – Boon or Bane? – October 30, 2018, Business World - http://www.businessworld.in/article/Impact-Of-New-Smart-Technologies-On-Supply-Chain-Industry-Boon-Or-Bane-/30-10-2018-163200/
- Role of B Schools in Shaping India - October 22, 2018, Open Magazine, B School Special 2018
- Technopreneur Be different to make a difference - December 2018, Financial Express, Feature "Business Schools – Road to Excellence".
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS:
- “100 Most Dedicated Professors” Award – A National Award at World Education Congress Mumbai July 5, 2018
- D.Litt. – Awarded by Kings University USA for contribution to Educational Services & Entrepreneurship - 2017
- Vice – President – TiE Chennai (2017 – 2019).
- Member – Governing Council (2015 - 2017), TiE Chennai.
- "Best Marketing Professor Award” at ABP News National Education awards - July 2015
- In Doctoral Committees at SRM University, VIT University etc.
- Peer reviewer for Indian and International Journals.
- Member , Board of Studies – Biotechnology , Thapar University, Patiala, India, 1998-2000