Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area of Expertise: OB & HRM
Email: [email protected]
S. Elankumaran is currently Professor of Organizational Behavior & Business Ethics. He has earned his PhD in Commerce from Pondicherry University. He has over two decades of teaching and research experience in the field of management. Prior to joining Great Lakes, he was associated with premier institutions like Management Centre for Human Values (MCHV) at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, T. A. Pai Management Institute and Amrita School of Business.He has taught courses like ‘Management by Human Values’, ‘Business Ethics’, ‘Ethics in International Business’, ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’, ‘Organizational Behavior’ and ‘Power & Politics in Workplace’.His initial research interest was in Organizational Behavior, where he conducted research on topics like personality, organizational climate, job involvement and job satisfaction. His present research focus is on ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’, ‘Corporate Codes of Ethics/Conduct’, ‘Cross-cultural Study on Ethics’ and ‘Leadership Spirit: Insights from the Past’. His research and writings have appeared in refereed international journals such as International Journal of Value-Based Management, Journal of Human Values, Journal of Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management.Further, he was involved in training over 2000 senior managers in his areas of expertise.
Corporate Social Responsibility, Corporate Codes of Ethics/Conduct, Cross-cultural Study on Ethics and Leadership Spirit: Insights from the Past
- S Elankumaran, `Values/Ethics and Leadership – Look Back to March Ahead’ in Samuel M Natale and Antony F Libertella (Eds.), `Immortal Longings’, Oxford: University Press of America, 2003, pp. 183-193.
- S Elankumaran, Rekha Seal & Anwar Hashmi, `Transcending Transformation: Enlightening Endeavours at Tata Steel’* in Andrew Crane and Dirk Matten (Eds.), Corporate Social Responsibility – Volume 3, LA: SAGE Publications, 2008, pp.182-194.
*(Also appears in Journal of Business Ethics, (Springer) 2005, 59: 109-119.)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Alan Wong, Fu Long and S Elankumaran, ‘Business Students’ Perceptions of Corporate Social Responsibility: the United States, India and China’, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Vol. 17, Issue 10, September/October 2010, pp. 299-310.
- Alan Wong and S Elankumaran, ‘Business Students’ Perceptions of Corporate Social Responsibility in the United States and India’, International Journal of Business and Public Administration, Volume 6, Number 2, Summer 2009, pp. 125-137.
- S Elankumaran,`Corporate Codes of Conduct in India: A Survey’, Journal of Human Values, Vol. 12, Number 1, January-June 2006, pp. 65-80.
- S Elankumaran, Rekha Seal & Anwar Hashmi, `Transcending Transformation: Enlightening Endeavours at Tata Steel’* Journal of Business Ethics, (Springer) 2005, 59: 109-119.
[*Also appears in Andrew Crane and Dirk Matten (Eds.), Corporate Social Responsibility – Volume 3, LA: SAGE Publications, 2008, pp.182-194.]
- S Elankumaran, `Personality, Organizational Climate and Job Involvement: An Empirical Study’, Journal of Human Values, (Sage Publications) 2004, Vol. 10, No. 2, December 2004, pp. 117-130.
- S Elankumaran, `The Bitter Brew’, Asian Case Research Journal, (World Scientific Publishing) 2004, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 173-186.
- S Elankumaran, `Caveat Emptor! – A Case of a Non Banking Finance Company’, International Journal of Value Based Management,* (Kluwer Academic Publishers) 2002, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 83-96.
(*Since 2004, this Journal has been incorporated into Journal of Business Ethics)
- Dalip Singh, Emotional Intelligence at Work: A Professional Guide, Journal of Human Values, 2002, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 76-79 (by S Elankumaran).
- Arun Waklu, Managing from the Heart: Unfolding Spirit in People and Organizations, Journal of Human Values, 2001, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 98-101 (by S Elankumaran).
- Sorab Sadri, Dhun S Dastoor and S Jayashree, The Theory and Practice of Managerial Ethics, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 187-191 (by S Elankumaran).
- Joseph E Petrick and John F Quinn, Management Ethics: Integrity at Work, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 92-95 (by S Elankumaran).
- S A Sherlekar, Ethics in Management, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 95-97 (by S Elankumaran).
- Prayag Mehta, A Psychological Strategy for Alternative Human Development: India’s Performance since Independence, Journal of Human Values, 1999, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 86-90 (by S Elankumaran).
- Vivek Pinto, Gandhi’s Vision and Values: The Moral Quest for Change in Indian Agriculture, Journal of Human Values, 1998, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 226-229 (by S Elankumaran).
- Madhurendra K Varma, Managing More Effectively: A Professional Approach to Get the Best Out of People, Journal of Human Values, 1998, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 125-128 (by S Elankumaran).
- Subhash Sharma, Management in New Age – Western Windows Eastern Doors, Journal of Human Values, 1997, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 139-141 (by S Elankumaran).
Editorial-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Reviewed a manuscript titlted “Managers’ Perceptions of Trust in the Workplace in Times of Strategic Change: The Cases of Syprus, Greece and Romania”, for EuroMed Journal of Business during May 2018.
- Reviewed a manuscript titled "The role of work self-efficacy on female frontline employees’ work-family conflict and perceived politics in Turkish hotel context: Moderating role of tenure." for EuroMed Journal of Business during April 2017.
- Reviewed a manuscript titled “Bank Employees’ Profile and Bank Branch Efficiency” for EuroMed Journal of Business during October, 2013.
- Reviewed three sample chapters of a manuscript on Business Ethics for Oxford University Press during October 2008.
- Assisted the Convener, MCHV in organizing `International Symposium on Applied Ethics’ during February 1998 and `International Roundtable on Corporate Reputation for Competitive Advantage’ during February 2000.
- Reviewed a paper (entitled ‘Zen and the Ethics of Ethics Review) submitted for publication in Journal of Business Ethics during December 2004 and reviewed the revised version of the same in March 2006.
- Reviewed a manuscript entitled 'Management Course Redesign: Need for Ethics' submitted for consideration in Decision during July 2006.
- Reviewed a manuscript entitled ‘Structuring Organizational Value Statements’ submitted for consideration in Management Research News during October 2006.
- Participated in Sixth PRME Asia Forum during November 26-28, 2015 held at by Goa Institute of Management, Goa.
- Participated in Global Business Ethics Faculty Development Workshop during May 18-22, 2009 organized by Centre for Business Ethics, Bentley University and sponsored by the State Street Foundation.
- Participated in an International Conference on `Voluntary Codes of Conduct for Multinational Corporations: Promises and Challenges’ held in International Centre for Corporate Accountability, Inc., Zicklin Business School, Baruch College, City University of New York, New York during May 12-15, 2004 and presented a paper entitled `Corporate Codes of Conduct in India: A Survey’.
- Presented another paper entitled `Transcending Transformation: Enlightening Endeavours at Tata Steel’ jointly with Ms. Rekha Seal and Mr Anwar Hashmi of Ethics Office of Tata Steel in the above.
- Participated in Sixth International Conference on Social Values 2002 at University of Oxford, Oxford during July 3-5, 2002 and presented a paper entitled `Values/Ethics and Leadership: Look Back to March Ahead’.
- Participated in a Workshop on `Mainstreaming Corporate Social Responsibility in Management Schools’ on September 13, 2001 at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India.
- Participated in a Conference on `Corporate Social Responsibility in South Asia: Mapping the Ground’ during September 11-12, 2001 in New Delhi, India.
- Completed a consultancy research project jointly with Prof. Sanjoy Mukherjee of Management Centre for Human Values, IIM Calcutta on ‘Management of Business Ethics: A Dip Stick Assessment Model’ in 2007 for Tata Quality Management Services, a division of Tata Sons Ltd.
Invited speech/Panel discussion
- Delivered an invited talk on “Personal Values at Workplace” at Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women on August 10, 2017.
- Delivered an invited talk on “Values and Ethics for Managerial Transformation” for Officers of Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS) at Kalpakkam on 01-11-2017 as part of Vigilance Week Celebration.