Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area: OB & HRM
S. Elankumaran is currently Professor of Organizational Behavior & Business Ethics. He has earned his PhD in Commerce from Pondicherry University. He has over two decades of teaching and research experience in the field of management. Prior to joining Great Lakes, he was associated with premier institutions like Management Centre for Human Values (MCHV) at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, T. A. Pai Management Institute and Amrita School of Business.
He has taught courses like ‘Management by Human Values’, ‘Business Ethics’, ‘Ethics in International Business’, ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’, ‘Organizational Behavior’ and ‘Power & Politics in Workplace’.
His initial research interest was in Organizational Behavior, where he conducted research on topics like personality, organizational climate, job involvement and job satisfaction. His present research focus is on ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’, ‘Corporate Codes of Ethics/Conduct’, ‘Cross-cultural Study on Ethics’ and ‘Leadership Spirit: Insights from the Past’. His research and writings have appeared in refereed international journals such as International Journal of Value-Based Management, Journal of Human Values, Journal of Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management.
Further, he was involved in training over 2000 senior managers in his areas of expertise.
List of Representative Publications
Alan Wong, Fu Long and S Elankumaran, ‘Business Students’ Perceptions of Corporate Social Responsibility: the United States, India and China’, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, vol. 17, Issue 10, September/October 2010, pp. 299-310.
Alan Wong and S Elankumaran, ‘Business Students’ Perceptions of Corporate Social Responsibility in the United States and India’, International Journal of Business and Public Administration, Volume 6, Number 2, Summer 2009, pp. 125-137.
S Elankumaran,`Corporate Codes of Conduct in India: A Survey’, Journal of Human Values, Vol. 12, Number 1, January-June 2006, pp. 65-80.
S Elankumaran, Rekha Seal & Anwar Hashmi, `Transcending Transformation: Enlightening Endeavours at Tata Steel’* Journal of Business Ethics, (Springer) 2005, 59: 109-119.
[*Also appears in Andrew Crane and Dirk Matten (Eds.), Corporate Social Responsibility – Volume 3, LA: SAGE Publications, 2008, pp.182-194.]
S Elankumaran, `Personality, Organizational Climate and Job Involvement: An Empirical Study’, Journal of Human Values, (Sage Publications) 2004, Vol. 10, No. 2, December 2004, pp. 117-130.
S Elankumaran, `The Bitter Brew’, Asian Case Research Journal, (World Scientific Publishing) 2004, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 173-186.
S Elankumaran, `Values/Ethics and Leadership – Look Back to March Ahead’ in Samuel M Natale and Antony F Libertella (Eds.), `Immortal Longings’, Oxford: University Press of America, 2003, pp. 183-193.
S Elankumaran, `Caveat Emptor! – A Case of a Non Banking Finance Company’, International Journal of Value Based Management,* (Kluwer Academic Publishers) 2002, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 83-96.
(*Since 2004, this Journal has been incorporated into Journal of Business Ethics)
- Dalip Singh, Emotional Intelligence at Work: A Professional Guide, Journal of Human Values, 2002, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 76-79 (by S Elankumaran).
- Arun Waklu, Managing from the Heart: Unfolding Spirit in People and Organizations, Journal of Human Values, 2001, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 98-101 (by S Elankumaran).
- Sorab Sadri, Dhun S Dastoor and S Jayashree, The Theory and Practice of Managerial Ethics, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 187-191 (by S Elankumaran).
- Joseph E Petrick and John F Quinn, Management Ethics: Integrity at Work, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 92-95 (by S Elankumaran).
- S A Sherlekar, Ethics in Management, Journal of Human Values, 2000, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 95-97 (by S Elankumaran).
- Prayag Mehta, A Psychological Strategy for Alternative Human Development: India’s Performance since Independence, Journal of Human Values, 1999, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 86-90 (by S Elankumaran).
- Vivek Pinto, Gandhi’s Vision and Values: The Moral Quest for Change in Indian Agriculture, Journal of Human Values, 1998, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 226-229 (by S Elankumaran).
- Madhurendra K Varma, Managing More Effectively: A Professional Approach to Get the Best Out of People, Journal of Human Values, 1998, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 125-128 (by S Elankumaran).
- Subhash Sharma, Management in New Age – Western Windows Eastern Doors, Journal of Human Values, 1997, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 139-141 (by S Elankumaran).
Awards and Recognitions