Dr. Bala v & Vasantha Balachandran Chair professor of Marketing, Director - Research
Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area of Expertise: Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Research.
Email: [email protected]
S. Bharadhwaj is currently Director (Research) and Dr. Bala V. Balachandran & Vasantha Balachandran Chair Professor of Marketing. Prior to joining Great Lakes, he worked at Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras and Nanyang Business School, Singapore. His main research interests are in the areas of Marketing for Social Good, Impulse Buying Behavior, Variety Seeking Behavior and the effect of other marketing variables and phenomena on these behaviors. His secondary research interests are in Search Behavior and Integrated Marketing Communications. His work appears in leading journals such as the Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Advertising, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Food Quality and Preference and Psychology and Marketing.
Dr. S. Bharadhwaj holds a PhD in Marketing from the Robert Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, USA. He has an MBA from BIM, Trichy and a BSc in Chemistry from Vivekananda College, Chennai. He teaches Marketing Research and Consumer Behavior.
List of Representative Publications
- Bilwa Upadhye, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran, Debasis Pradhan, Teidorlang Lyngdoh (2022) "Can Planning Prompt be a Boon for Impulsive Customers? Moderating roles of Product Category and Decisional Procrastination", Psychology and Marketing, forthcoming.
- Nirmalya Bandyopadhyay, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran, Ravi Shekhar Kumar and Sanjay Patro (2022), “Immediate or Delayed! Whether various types of consumer sales promotions drive impulse buying? An empirical investigation”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, forthcoming.
- Ashwin Baliga, Vaibhav Chawla, LS Ganesh, Vijaya Sunder and Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran (2021), "Service Failure and Recovery in B2B Markets: a Morphological Analysis", Journal of Business Research, in press.
- Sriram Dorai, Nataraj B and Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran (2021), "Enhancing Relationships in E-Tail: Role of Relationship Quality and Duration", Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 58, January 2021, 102293.
- Kirubaharan Boobalan, Geetha Sulur Nachimuthu (2021), "Understanding the psychological benefits in organic consumerism: An empirical exploration", Food Quality and Preference, Vol. 87, January 2021, 104070.
- Sujatha Manohar, Varisha Rehman and Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran (2021), Role of unfamiliarity and information on consumers’ willingness to try new healthy food", Food Quality and Preference, Vol. 87, January 2021, 104037.
- Harindranath RM, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Jayanth Jacob, (2019), "The Moderating Role of Sales Experience in Adaptive Selling, Customer Orientation and Job Satisfaction in a Unionized Setting", Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol. 34(8), pp. 1724-1735.
- Ekta Srivastava, Satish Maheswarappa and Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran (2019), “Nostalgic Advertising: Managing Ambivalence to Make it Work”, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 37 (3), pp. 284-297.
- Angeline Fernando, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and L Suganthi (2018), “Comparison of Perceived Acquisition Value Sought by Online Second Hand and New Goods Shoppers”, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52 (7/8), pp. 1412-1438.
- Arti Kalro, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Rahul Marathe (2017), “The Ad Format-Strategy Effect on Comparative Advertising Effectiveness”, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 51 (1), pp. 99-122.
- Angeline Fernando, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and L Suganthi (2016), “Message Involvement and Attitude Towards Green Advertisements”, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 34 (6), pp. 863-882.
- Angeline Fernando, L Suganthi and Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran (2014), “If you Blog Will They Follow? Using Online Media to Set the Agenda for Consumer Concerns on “Green washed” Environmental Claims”, Journal of Advertising, Vol. 43 (2), pp. 167-180.
- Piyush Sharma, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Roger Marsall (2014), “Exploring Impulse Buying in Services: Towards an Integrative Framework”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 42 (2), pp. 154-170.
- Piyush Sharma, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Roger Marshall (2014), “Looking Beyond Impulse Buying: A Cross-cultural and Multi-domain Investigation of Consumer Impulsiveness", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 48 (5/6), pp. 1159-1179.
- Arti Kalro, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Rahul Marathe (2013), "Direct or Indirect Comparative Ads: The Role of Modes of Information Processing", Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol.12 (2), pp. 133-147 (in special issue on "Challenges to Attitude and Behaviour Change through Persuasion").
- Geetha Mohan, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Piyush Sharma (2013), “The Impact of Store Environment on Impulse Buying”, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 47 (10), pp. 1711-1732.
- Geetha Mohan, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Piyush Sharma (2012), “Store Environment’s Impact on Variety Seeking”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 19 (4), pp. 419-428.
- Sharma, P., Sivakumaran, B., & Marshall, R. (2010), Journal of Business Research, “Impulse Buying and Variety Seeking: A Trait-Correlates Perspective”, 63(3), pp. 276-283.
- Sharma, Piyush, Bharadhwaj Sivakumaran and Roger Marshall, “(2010).Exploring Impulse Buying and Variety Seeking by Retail Shoppers: Towards a Common Conceptual Framework, Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 26 (5/6), pp. 473-494.
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Reviewer Award, 2013, Journal of Indian Business Research (Emerald Group of Publications)
- Emerald All India Management Association (AIMA) Indian Management Research Fund Award 2009, with Arti Kalro and Piyush Sharma
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Maryland, 2001
- Deans’ Summer Research Fellowship Award, University of Maryland, Summer 2000
- Deans’ Summer Research Fellowship Award, University of Maryland, Summer 1999
- First Prize, Case Study Writing Competition, Association of Indian Management Schools, August 1997
Editorial Board/Review Information
- Chief Editor - Great Lakes Herald
- Serve on the editorial review boards of
- Journal of Business Research
- AIMS International Journal of Management