Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area of Expertise: Corporate finance
Dr. Ranjitha Ajay is currently an Assistant professor in the area of finance. She holds a PhD in Management specializing in Finance from Department of Management Studies, DoMS, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras. She has completed MS (by Research) in Finance from IIT Madras. Prior to joining Great Lakes, she worked as visiting faculty in Madras School of economics. Her main research interest is in the area of corporate finance, financial reporting quality, corporate governance and corporate bond market. She has published papers in peer reviewed journals and presented research papers in national and international conferences.
Corporate finance, Financial reporting quality, Corporate governance
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, (2019) “Relationship between firm valuation, business practices and earnings management: A meta-analysis”, Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, Volume 14, No. 1, pp. 115-134.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi (2015), “Do corporate diversification and earnings management practices affect capital structure?”,Journal of Indian Business Research, Emerald publication, Volume 7(4), pp. 360-378.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi (2015), “Institutional Ownership and Earnings Management In India”, Indian Journal of Corporate Governance, Sage publication, Volume 8(2), pp.119-136.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi (2012), “Impact of Diversification Strategy on the Capital Structure Decisions of Manufacturing Firms in India”, International proceedings of Economic Development and Research, volume 43, pp.125-129.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi (2012), “Diversification strategy and its influence on the capital structure decisions”, International Journal of Social Science and Humanity (IJSSH), Volume 2 (5), pp. 421-426.
Competitive research awards received
- Recipient of Half Time Teaching/Research Assistantship (HTRA) from MHRD for MS and Ph.D. program at IIT Madras
- Received Highly commendable paper award for the paper titled “Diversification strategy and capital structure decisions of manufacturing firms in India” at the conference on “Global Strategies for an Emergent India” organized by IIM Kozhikode, Kerala on 27th and 28th December 2012.
- Received second outstanding paper award for the paper titled “Institutional ownership and earnings management in India” at the conference on “Corporate governance and growth of capital markets” organized by Indian Institute of Capital Markets, Mumbai on April 11, 2014.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “The Effect of diversification strategy on capital structure decisions of MNCs in India”, India finance conference, December 20-23, 2011 in IIM Bangalore.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “Impact of Diversification Strategy on the Capital Structure Decisions of Manufacturing Firms in India”, 2nd International Conference on Financial Management and Economics– ICFME 2012, July 24-25, 2012 in Singapore.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “Institutional ownership and earnings management in India”, Conference on corporate governance and growth of capital markets, April 11, 2014, Indian Institute of Capital Markets in Mumbai.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “Impact of corporate diversification strategy on earnings management”, 1st corporate governance conference, June 13-14,2014, Indian institute of Management, Thiruchirappally.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “Impact of corporate diversification strategies on earnings management”, DoMS Research Symposium, January 16-17, 2015, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi,“Ownership structure and earnings management: A study of listed manufacturing firms”, Doctoral symposium, April 8th, 2015, Curtin University, Western Australia.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R.Madhumathi, “Diversification Strategy and Earnings Management: An Empirical Investigation of Firms in Manufacturing Sector”, 6th Financial Markets and Corporate Governance Conference, April 9-11, 2015, Curtin University, Western Australia.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R Madhumathi, “Earnings management and Firm Valuation: an empirical examination of manufacturing firms in India, Accepted for 5th PAN-IIM World Management Conference scheduled between December 14-16, 2017 at the Indian Institute of Management Lucknow.
Reviewer for conference/Journal
- Student paper reviewer for International conference on financial market and corporate finance, 2016
- Reviewed papers for Finance Research Letters, Scientific Research publishing LIBA’s Management Matters and The Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment.
Session chair/Program chair for conference
- Session chair in the International conference on financial market and corporate finance, 2016.
Research papers under review
- Ranjitha Ajay and Sabuj Kumar Mandal, “Does ownership pattern matter in the determination of capital structure in emerging economies? Empirical evidences from Indian manufacturing firms”, International Journal of Accounting and Finance (IJAF), “Under Second Review”.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R Madhumathi, “Diversification strategy and Earnings management: Empirical investigation of firms in manufacturing sector”, International Journal of Managerial Finance, “Under Review”.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R Madhumathi, “Can investors identify earnings management through valuation: Evidence from manufacturing firms in India”.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R Madhumathi, “Executive compensation and Earnings management practices in India”.
- Ranjitha Ajay and R Madhumathi, “Impact of product market competition on earnings quality of listed firms in India”.