Mr. Kannan has extensive experience in the Project finance, Corporate Credit Analysis and Credit Monitoring business, having spent 26 years in ICICI Ltd / ICICI Bank Ltd from where he retired as General Manager. He headed teams that has performed project appraisals and monitored the performance of various industries such as Oil and Gas, Infrastructure, structured products and technology finance divisions. He has worked with industry leaders in the chemical, oil, Petrochemicals and allied fields. He was also involved in structuring and operationalising agreements with multilateral institutions such as Asian Development Bank, IBRD, KFW etc. During his career he has served as a Director/Audit committee Member in the Boards of more than 35 companies including Essar Oil, National Organic Chemicals and SPIC Petrochemicals etc. Post his retirement from ICICI bank, he continued to serve in the Board of several leading companies like Haldia Petrochemicals , Bharat Oman Refineries ,Supreme group etc and presently a member of the Board/Audit committee of 4 companies. He was also an adviser to The Technology Development Board, Government of India.
He was the Director of Institute for Financial Management and Research for 4 years and presently teaches at IFMR as an Associate Professor. He also runs a customized Management Development Programme on Project Finance for the last 5 years in association with the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance, the apex training institute for Indian Banking Industry under the aegis of IFMR.
Mr. Kannan is a post graduate degree holder in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, Diploma holder in Financial Management from the University of Mumbai, Chartered Financial Analyst from ICFAI and an alumnus of Sloan School of Massachusetts, Institute of Technology, Boston.
Publications / Research:
- Authorized 4 articles in Euro money Publications on financing projects in the Oil & Gas and Infrastructure sectors. He has contributed more than 15 articles in Indian trade journals discussing the various aspects of Project Finance, International competetiveness in the chemical industry etc.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Permanent invitee of the National Executive Board of Indian Chemicals Council
- A Project appraiser for Technology Development Board, Government of India.
- Served as a Member in the Development Council for Man Made Fibre Industry.
- Currently Financial advisor – Care India.
- Served as a Member of the Management Committee of Madras Management Association.
- Was a Member of the management Committee of Chennai / Mumbai region of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Was a Member of the advisory Board for AICTE, Southern Region.
- Served as Member of High Level Committee on Disinvestment of Shares for Government of Tamilnadu.
- Was a Member of the Cost Management Committee of Confederation of Indian Industry and a member of its Finance and Taxation Committee (Southern region)