Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh
Director - Center for Online Learning and Professor
Email: [email protected]
An experienced Management Academic and Educational Administrator, Dr. Venkatesh is an educational entrepreneur, who has helped launch many institutions of higher learning in his career spanning over 31 years. He is associated with Great Lakes Institute of Management, Gurgaon, as Professor & Director PGPM, since June 2014.
Earlier he was – Professor & Area Chair Marketing, International Management Institute, New Delhi (2012-14); Founding Dean & Professor, GDGWI – Lancaster University, India (2009-12); Vice Chancellor (Designate) ITM University, Gwalior, India (2008-09); Founding Dean & Professor, IIMT-Oxford Brookes Univ., India (2000-08); Dean, NIILM, New Delhi (1998-2000); Professor/Chair-Marketing & Program Director (Graduate/Executive Programs), IILM, New Delhi (1995-98); Assistant Professor & Executive Council Member – VBSP University, India (1990-95). He was offered Adjunct Professorship at CUNY, USA (2004).
With a Ph.D. in Management (Consumer Behaviour), he holds Postgraduate qualifications in Management as well as Agricultural Economics. His areas of interest are – Consumer Behaviour, International Marketing, Responsible Businesses; Rural Marketing etc.
He promotes research by acting as PhD Supervisor for the AIMA-AMU and Amity University, U.P., PhD Programs and PhD Examiner for many universities in India.
He is on the Editorial Board of various research journals. He has authored a book on Services Management; has many research publications to his credit. Has designed & conducted training programs for – business managers, academicians, civil servants and NGO functionaries in the areas of customer centricity, service orientation, organizational design, ethics, institution building etc. He promotes research by being a PhD supervisor and examiner for many universities along with reviewer of reputed journals viz. Vikalpa (IIM-A); Global Business Review (Sage); Emerald Group Publishing, Journal of Services Research etc.
He has led and managed multiple international collaborative programs with British Universities for over 16 years between 1996 and 2012.
As an institution builder, he has helped set-up five institutions of higher learning in India, both public and private, enacting key leadership roles in conceptualizing, designing, implementing and managing, innovative study programs - with many international partners viz. Lancaster Univ. UK; Oxford Brookes Univ. UK; Bradford Univ. UK; Greenwich Univ. UK etc.
Consulting & Advisor Attachments with Industry
- Conducted a session for Indian Telecom Services Officers on performance management at the Indian Institute of Public Administration, Delhi (2022)
- Brand and Strategy Advisor – Bunkaari India; a retail chain of stores involved in promoting ethnic Indian weaves and fabrics by artisans across India
- Advisor to Miebach Logistics India Pvt. Ltd., a subsidiary of Miebach Logistics Group an international consultancy based at Frankfurt, Germany, developing world-class supply chain strategies and solutions. Helped implement corporate communication and HR strategies apart from providing knowledge inputs on organization design.
- Technical Advisor to Ethnosphere, Switzerland and SHAVA Creations, Switzerland. Ethnosphere, proposing to set up a new-concept hospitality chain in developing countries including India and Bhutan.
- Jauhari, V. and Venkatesh, U. (2005), Readings in Services Management, Gurgaon, India: IIMT. (ISBN 81-902381-1-6).
- 'Business Success through Social Responsibility: Microsign Products' by Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Champions of Change: Catalyzing Inclusion at Workplace. New Delhi: Confederation of Indian Industries (2020)
- Venkatesh, U., Mathew, J., & Chaudhuri, A. (2019) Corporate social responsibility as an antecedent of brand valuation in Mandated Corporate Social Responsibility - Evidence from India, Eds. Mitra, N. & Schmidpeter, R. Switzerland: Springer Nature, p. 175-198.
- Venkatesh, U. (2018) The hegemony of global brands: Brands, globalization, & local cultures, in The Globalization Conundrum - Dark Clouds behind the Silver Lining, Eds. Chakrabarti, G. & Sen, C. Singapore: Springer Nature, p. 205-217.
- Venkatesh, U (2017) Branding impetus for start-ups: Relevance and rhetoric, in Global Entrepreneurship and New Venture Creation in the Sharing Economy, Eds. N. Zakaria & L. Kaushal, Singapore: IGI Global.
- Venkatesh, U. (2010) Consumerism and consumer behaviour in service economy: The changing face of the Indian consumer, in Consumers, Consumerism and Consumer Protection: Indian Context, Eds. K.N. Bhatt, S. Misra, & S. Chadah. New Delhi: IIPA. ISBN: 9380031552.
- Venkatesh, U (2006) State of practice of ethics in the hotel industry in India – Some conclusions, in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry, Ed. V. Jauhari, New York: Haworth Press.
- Venkatesh, U (2005) Leisure – meaning and impact on leisure travel behavior, in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry, Ed. V. Jauhari, NY: Haworth Press.
- Mathew, J., Venkatesh, U., et al (2021), 'Kineer: A Social Marketing Challenge', accepted for publication by IMD Lausanne, Switzerland - 3rd Prize at John Molson International Case Study Competition (2022), Canada
- 'Manufacturing Excellence using lean systems - a case of an automotive aggregate manufacturing plant in India' by Umashankar Venkatesh and Ravindra Ojha, published by Journal of Advances in Management Research (JAMR) (2021)
- 'Tata Motors at Cross Roads' by Ahindra Chakrabarti with Umashankar Venkatesh (GLIM, Gurgaon), published by The Case Centre (2019)
- Venkatesh, Umashankar with Sondhi, N. and Kalla, S.M. (2014) Mother Dairy: Creating a National Footprint. Case (Product Code - 9B14A020); Teaching Note (Product Code - 8B14A020. Richard Ivey Publications, Univ. of Ontario, Canada.
- Venkatesh, U. & Mathew, J. (2019) The Attire: Marketing Organic Apparel, Niche or Mainstream? The Case Centre, Case No. 519-0054-1
- Venkatesh, U. & Chakrabarti, A. (2019) Tata Motors at Crossroads. The Case Centre, Case No. 119-0025-1.
- 'Bharti Airtel: Growth Imperatives & Financial Performance' by Umashankar Venkatesh with Ahindra Chakrabarti (GLIM GGN), published by The Case Centre (2018)
- Venkatesh, U. & Chakrabarti, A. (2018) Bharti Airtel: Growth Imperatives & Financial Performance. The Case Centre, Case No. 118-0015-1. https://www.thecasecentre.org/main/products/view?id=150528
- Venkatesh, U. & Dutta, K. (2017) Start-up Branding – The Case of a Social Enterprise. Certatus-2017, Case Conference conducted by the Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Chennai – April 7, 2017.
- Venkatesh, U. & Dutta, K. (2016) Patanjali: Building of an ‘Indian’ Brand. 2nd Conference on Brand Management, 16-17 April 2016, IIT Delhi, India.
- Sondhi, N., Kalla, S.M., & Venkatesh, U. (2015) Addons: Targeting Impulse. Richard Ivey Publications, University of Western Ontario, Canada. (Product Code - 9B14A069).
- Sondhi, N., Kalla, S.M., & Venkatesh, U. (2014) Mother Dairy: Creating a National Footprint. Richard Ivey Publications, University of Western Ontario, Canada. (Product Code - 9B14A020).
- Arora, J. & Venkatesh, U. (2011) Mahindra Renault JV: Why it’s at the End of the Road. HBS Research Review, 2(2), p. 82-86.
- 'Benevolence in new-age businesses of developing economies: Some conclusions from the information technology companies/sector of India (Journal of Human Values, Vol. (27), No. (1), p. 49-59.)' by Umashankar Venkatesh, Anirban Chaudhuri, Jones Matthew, published by Sage Publications (2020)
- Venkatesh, U., Chaudhuri, A., & Mathew, J. (2020) Benevolence in new-age businesses of developing economies: Some conclusions from the information technology companies/sector of India. Paper accepted by the Journal of Human Values, (Sage).
- Mohan, J., Haque, M.I., & Venkatesh, U. (2016) Influence of mobile in addressing information asymmetry among Indian farmers: Evidence from North India. Advances in Computer Science and Information Technology, 3(5), p. 430-435.
- Venkatesh, U. (2015) Strategic entrepreneurship in Taiwan’s food and catering industries: The case of 85°C Café Shop. (Case Analysis). Global Business Review, 16(5), p. 903-906.
- Pandey, S., Chawla, D. & Venkatesh, U. (2015) Online shopper segmentation based on lifestyles: An exploratory study in India. Journal of Internet Commerce, 14(1), p. 21-41.
- Dwivedi, M., Yadav, A., and Venkatesh, Umashankar (2012) Use of social media by national tourism organizations: A preliminary analysis. Information Technology & Tourism, 13(2), p. 93-103.
- Verma, D.K., Kushawaha, S., Venkatesh, U. and Sen, C. (2010) An analytical study of rapeseed/mustard trend in India: A special focus on Rajasthan state. Journal of Progressive Science, 1(1), p. 1-11.
- Venkatesh, U. and Paninchukunnath A. (2009) Global economic crisis, globalization and the Indian higher education sector: Imperatives for internationalization. Prabhandiki, 4(1), p. 88-96.
- Malhotra, Richa and Venkatesh, U. (2009) Pre-crisis period planning: Lessons for hospitality and tourism. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 1(1), p. 66-74.
- Venkatesh, U. (2009) Consumerism and consumer behaviour in the service economy – The changing face of the Indian consumer, in Consumer Protection in India: Emerging Perspectives. Eds. S.S. Singh, S. Misra, K. Bhatt and S. Chadha, New Delhi: Indian Institute of Public Administration.
- Venkatesh, U. (2008) Pre-Purchase Information Search Sources of Leisure Tourists in India: Some Conclusions. Tourism Development Journal, 5&6(1).
- Venkatesh, U. (2008) The case for organized agri-retail – The Indian imperative. Journal of Services Research, 2(1), p. 91-107.
- Venkatesh, U. and Dutta, K. (2008) Foreign direct investment in the indian real estate sector – Problems and prospects, in Globalization and Sectoral Development, Eds. R. Agrawal, R. Banga and A.N. Bhattacharya. New Delhi: Excel Books. p. 297-311.
- Dutta, K., Venkatesh, U. and Parsa, H.G. (2007) Service failure and recovery strategies in the restaurant sector: An Indo-US comparative study. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19(5), p. 351-363.
- Dwivedi, M., Shibu, T.P. and Venkatesh, U. (2007) Social software practices on the internet: Implications for the hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19(5), p. 415-426.
- Venkatesh, U. and Dutta, K. (2007) Balanced scorecards in managing higher education institutions - An Indian perspective. International Journal of Educational Management, 21(1), p. 54-67.
- Venkatesh, U. (2006) State of practice of ethics in the hotel industry in India – Some conclusions, in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry, Ed. V. Jauhari, New York: Haworth Press.
- Venkatesh, U. (2005) Leisure – meaning and impact on leisure travel behavior. Journal of Services Research, 6(Special Issue). Also, included in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry, Ed. V. Jauhari (2007), NY: Haworth Press.
- Venkatesh, U. and Kulkarni, A. (2002) Employee motivation and empowerment in hospitality, rhetoric or reality – Some observations from India. Journal of Services Research, 2(1), p. 31-53.
- Venkatesh, U. (2001) eCRM – Issues of semantics, domain and implementation. Productivity, 42(1), p.19-25.
- Venkatesh, U. (2001) The importance of managing points-of-marketing in marketing higher education programmes – Some conclusions. Journal of Services Research, 1(1), p. 125-140.
- Venkatesh, U. (1998) Organising the marketing effort. Paradigm, 1(1), p. 61-65.
- Venkatesh, U., Lal, S.K., Gupta, S.B.L. and Kushwaha, S. (1989) Growth and area response of Rapeseed and Mustard. Agricultural Situation in India, 44(7), p. 577-580.
- Panelist in the Education and Edtech Panel at the Startup Summit 2022
- Bandopadhyay, R. and Venkatesh, U. (2013) Supply of finance in small and medium industries of India: A demand side perspective. Global Conference on Service Management. Auro University, Surat and Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts, USA. 4-5 January 2014.
- Venkatesh, U. and Paninchukunnath A. (2009) Global economic crisis, globalization and the Indian higher education sector: Imperatives for internationalization, presented at the 7th AIB–India International Conference on Global Economic Crisis: Challenges & Opportunities, 17-19 Dec. 2009, Institute for Integrated Learning in Management, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, U., Dutta, K. and Misra, K. (2008) Service quality perceptions of customers of organized retail in India – A customer service context, presented at the International Conference on Services Management – 2008, May 9-10, Penn State University, U.S.A.
- Venkatesh, U., Dutta, K., Choi, G. and Parsa, H.G. (2007) A Comparative study of consumers’ green practice orientation in India and the United States, presented in the International Conference on Services Management – 2007, June 1-2, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, U. and Dutta, Kirti (2006) Foreign direct investment in the Indian real estate sector – Problems and prospects, presented in the 4th Annual International Conference on Globalization & Sectoral Development jointly organized by the Academy of International Business (AIB) and the Institute for Integrated Learning in Management (IILM), New Delhi, India, 17-19 February 2006, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, U. (2006) Pre-purchase information search sources of leisure tourists in India: Some conclusions, presented at the conference: Cutting Edge Research in Tourism – New Directions, Challenges and Applications, organized by the School of Management, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK, 6-9th June 2006, Guildford, U.K.
- Venkatesh, U. (2005) Leisure - meaning and impact on leisure travel behavior. Paper awarded with the Editors’ Choice Award at the International Conference on Services Management – 2005, March 11-12, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, U. and Misra, K. (2001) Issues in imparting professional education: Lessons for economies in transition - A case study of India, annual conference on – New Horizons in Business Education – Lessons from Economies in Transition - of the European Council for Business Education, held at Moscow, June 8-10, 2001; paper subsequently published as lead paper in the proceedings.
- Venkatesh, U. and Chaklader, B. (2001) Green marketing: A systems perspective to global corporate marketing, presented at the International Conference on Globalization of Business and Markets - Strategies for the 21st Century, at the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India, December 20-22, 2001.
- Misra, K. and Venkatesh, U.(1996) The state of local city finances in India, presented in the National Workshop on the State of Local Finances in India, at the National Institute for Rural Development, Hyderabad, India, December 1996
- Venkatesh, U. (1995) Material resource planning for small scale industries, presented in the National Workshop on Materials Management, Faculty of Management Studies, B.H.U., India, September 1995.
- Venkatesh, U., Lal, S.K., Gupta, S.B.L. and Kushwaha, S. (1989) Growth and area response of Rapeseed and Mustard, presented at the 48th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, 13-15 Oct., 1988.
- 'Is the pandemic an advantage for hotels in a sharing economy?', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by BW Hotelier (2021)
- 'The Hidden Persuaders Redux', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Entrepreneur India (2021)
- 'Amidst an economic slump, IKEA and Miniso have missed their India targets" ' by Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Quartz India (2019)
- 'Why MBA students need to have mindfulness training,' published by The Hindu (2023)
- 'Should MBA Candidates Give up Hunting for Employment and Instead Work for the Gig Economy?' by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by India Times (2022)
- 'For Entrepreneurs, Blown Deadlines Can Crush Big Ideas', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by The Entrepreneur (2022)
- 'Creating Customer Value through Inclusive Design', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Forbes India (2021)
- 'Why Management Curriculum Should Become More Industry Oriented - Lessons From B Schools', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by BW Education (2021)
- 'Getting Schooled in the Virtual World: 5 Touchstones for Students to Maximise their Potential', by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by India Today (2021)
- 'The Marketing Communication Dilemma: India Versus Bharat, by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by ET Brand Equity (2021)
- Quoted in 'Why exams face a litmus test in COVID-19 times', published by Forbes India (2021)
- 'The Indian higher education conundrum: A case for digitalization' by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Forbes India (2021)
- 'Max Fashion Goes Omni Channel' by Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Business Standard/quoted (2019)
- 'FMCG Companies should recognize the 'New Rural India' to stay relevant: Study' by Jones Mathew with Umashankar Venkatesh (GLIM, Gurgaon), published by The Hindu Business Line (2019)
- 'Why Barbie, Legos and Hamleys struggle in the Indian toy market' by Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Quartz India|/quoted (2019)
- 'To revive a syllabus, just rope in a student' by Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Hindustan Times/quoted (2018)
- 'Mushrooming Institutions: The Whirlpool of Dying Hope. Business World, 30 Nov 2017.' by Umashankar Venkatesh, published by Business World (2017)