Dr. Jones Mathew
Professor and Chairperson – Research, Rankings and Accreditation
Great Lakes Institute of Management
Dr. Mathew is a PhD from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), MBA – Marketing from BIT- Mesra, Ranchi; BA Economics from Lucknow University and brings with him 18 years of industry experience followed by 12 years of B-School academic experience.
Teaching Areas: Marketing Management, Consumer Behaviour, Product and Brand Management, Services Marketing, Sales and Distribution Management, Selling and Negotiation Skills
Research Areas: Consumer Behaviour – Need for Uniqueness, Market Mavenism, Brand studies, Tourism Marketing, Services Marketing, Sustainable Marketing, CSR-ISR
Case Studies authorship: Branding, channel strategy, marketing strategy, and digital marketing.
- Venkatesh, U., Chaudhuri, A., and Mathew, J. (2020). “Benevolence in new-age businesses of developing economies: Some conclusions from the information technology companies/sector of India”, Journal of Human Values, (accepted for publication).
- Dey, B, Mathew, J. and Hua-Chee, C. (2020). “"Influence of Destination Attractiveness Factors and Travel Motivations on Rural Homestay Choice: The Moderating Role of Need for Uniqueness", International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research (accepted for publication June 2020). ABDC Category B.
- Mathew, J and Dey, B. (2020). “Antecedents of Need for Uniqueness: A Study of Adolescents in India”, International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, Web of Science indexed.
- Mathew, J., Dey, B and Singh, A. (2016). “A Typology of Service Organizations as a Function of Customer Participation, Intangibility and User Type”, Journal of Services Research, Volume 16, Issue 1 (April - September 2016) ISSN No. 0972-4702. ABDC Category C.
- Mathew, J., and Dasgupta, P. (2014). “Conceptual construct of the Relationship Between Antecedents and Consequences of Need for Uniqueness (NFU) and its Impact on Adolescents’ Consumer Decision Making Process, Journal of Marketing and Communication, Vol. 10, Issue 1, (2014) ISSN No. 0973-2330
- Mathew, J., and Dasgupta, P. (2014). “An Exploratory Study of the Need for Uniqueness among Indian Adolescents”, International Journal of Research in Economics & Social Sciences, Volume 4, Issue 8 (August 2014) ISSN No. 2249-7382.
- Mathew, J. (2020), “Sab ke Liye Big Bazaar: Empowering Persons with Disabilities”, Confederation of Indian Industries CII Special Issue on PwDs,
- Mathew, J. (2020), “IHG: Hospitable to PwDs in the Hospitality Sector”, Confederation of Indian Industries CII Special Issue on PwDs,
- Gupta, P and Mathew, J (2019), “IQF: Leading Change in Rural India”, The Case Centre (UK), Product # 419-0076-1 and Teaching Note Product # 419-0076-8
- Venkatesh, U and Mathew, J (2019), “The Attire: Marketing Organic Apparel, Niche or Mainstream?”, The Case Centre (UK), Product # 519-0054-1 and Teaching Note Product # 519-0054-8
- Mathew, J., Dey, B and Puri, S (2018). “Tiktauli De Corps: A Branding Dilemma”, Ivey Publishing, Western University, Canada; Product Number 9B18A066
- Mathew, J., Dey, B and Puri, S (2018). “Brand W: Strategizing for Omni-Channel Retail”. Ivey Publishing, Western University, Canada; Product Number 9B18A046.
- Mathew, J., Dey, B and Puri, S (2017). “The Renault Kwid: Disrupting India’s Hatchback Market”. Ivey Publishing, Western University, Canada; Product Number 9B17A023
- Mathew, J and Dey, B. (2017). “The Vanca: Reworking Digital Marketing Strategy”, 2016. Ivey Publishing, Western University, Canada; Product Number 9B17A011
- Mathew, J. and Dey, B. (2016). “The Vanca: Reworking Digital Marketing Strategy”, Winner of Marketing Category, ISB-Ivey Global Case Competition, 2016. https://www.thecasecentre.org/educators/casemethod/competitions/results/ISB2016
- Mathew, J and Dasgupta, P. (2015). “The Vanca: Dilemmas of an E-Commerce Entrepreneurial Startup”. Ivey Publishing, Western University, Canada; Product Number 9B15M035.
- Mathew, J and Singh, R (2014). “S.A.I.L. - Distribution Strategy for Non-Urban Markets: A Case Study; Management and Change, Volume 18, Number 2, 2014. ISSN No. 0972-2149
- Dasgupta, P and Mathew, J, (2012), “Social Media Marketing at Reebok India – The Dilemma of ROMI and Beyond”, Case published with ECCH – Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies, (UK),October 2012. Full Text Downloaded 680 times (Dec 2014)
- Venkatesh, U., Mathew, J., & Chaudhuri, A. (2019). “Corporate social responsibility as an antecedent of brand valuation, in Mitra, N. & Schmidpeter, R (eds.), Mandated Corporate Social Responsibility - Evidence from India. Switzerland: Springer.
- Mathew, J and Joshi, R.M, (2016). “An Exploratory Research into the Antecedents of the Need for Uniqueness Motivation among Adolescents in India”, Contemporary Issues in Business and Economy, Regal Publications, New Delhi ISBN 978-81-8484-595-2.
Pal, P.P. and Mathew, J. (2020). “The Leadership Essentials – A Practical Handbook for Success” – A Workplace Series Presentation, Blue Rose Publications, New Delhi. ISBN No. 978-93-90034-52-9, March 2020, 242 Pages
- Venkatesh, U, Mathew, J and Chaudhuri, A (2018), “Corporate Social Responsibility as an Antecedent of Brand Valuation”, 8th International Conference on Sustainability and Responsibility, organized by the Centre for Advanced Sustainability Management (CASM), Cologne Business School, (14th-16th Nov. 2018), Cologne, Germany.
- Banasree Dey and Jones Mathew (2017), “Marketing Implications of Consumer Attitudes towards Food Additives and Behavioural Intentions for Bakery Products”, presented at the International Conference in Marketing Jan 2017, IIM Lucknow (NOIDA Campus).
- Jones Mathew (2016), ‘“Endless Aisle”: The Future of Fusion of Virtual Technology and Physical Stores to Raise Customer Engagement”’, 1st International Conference on Digital Marketing: Innovative Brand Building through Digital Marketing, International Management Institute, New Delhi, January 2016.
- Joshi, R.M. and Mathew, J. (2016), “An Exploratory Research into the Antecedents of the Need for Uniqueness Motivation among Adolescents in India”, Joshi, R.M., and Mathew, J, 2016. International Management Conference, FIIB, New Delhi.
- Dey, B and Mathew, J (2016), “The Impact of Destination Competitiveness and Destination Attractiveness on Tourists’ Accommodation Choice: A Study of Rural Homestays in Uttarakhand” presented at the Great Lakes Institute of Management-North America Society for Marketing Education in India conference, Chennai, Dec 2016.
- Dasgupta, P and Mathew, J (2012), “Market Mavenism and Consumer Need for Uniqueness: Marketing Implications for Brand Advocacy and Innovation Adoption”, Indian Institute of Management Lucknow International Marketing Conference, 2012
- Dasgupta, P and Mathew, J (2012), “Market Mavenism and Consumer Need for Uniqueness: Marketing Implications for Brand Advocacy and Innovation Adoption in A Socially Networked World”, Great Lakes NASMEI Conference December 2012.
Mainstream Press Articles:
- Mathew, J. (2020). “Covid-19: The importance of brand recall in mom-and-pop retail”, ForbesIndia.com, 17.7.2020 (Online).
- Mathew, J. (2020). “Brands and Consumers in Corona Times: Total Local or Focal Glocal?”, BusinessWorld, 19.6.2020 (online).
- Mathew, J. (2020). “An Ocean of Opportunity in Assistive Products”, The Pioneer, 28.3.2020. (Print)
- Mathew, J. (2020). “Post Covid-19: Will Consumer Behaviour Patterns Mutate?”, ET Brand Equity.com, April 25, 2020; https://brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/marketing/post-covid-19-will-consumer-behaviour-patterns-mutate/75369733
- Mathew, J. (2020). “Covid-19: How marketers can help in coping with anxiety in times of a pandemic”, ET Brand Equity.com, April 11, 2020; https://brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/marketing/covid-19-how-marketers-can-help-in-coping-with-anxiety-in-times-of-a-pandemic/75091911
- Mathew, J. (2020). “An Ocean of Opportunity in Assistive Products”, The Pioneer, 28 March, 2020.
- Mathew, J. (2020). “Rural entrepreneurship: How hinterland’s young entrepreneurs could solve India’s social challenges”, Financial Express, Feb 2020
- Mathew, J. February (2020), “Role of Fintech in the Digital Economy”, CXOToday.com; https://www.cxotoday.com/news-analysis/role-of-fintech-in-the-digital-economy/
- Mathew, Jones (2019).”Brand Sacrifice: Recipe for Success in Millennial Market?” Businessworld, October 2019, http://www.businessworld.in/article/Brand-Sacrifice-Recipe-For-Success-In-Millennial-Market-/12-10-2019-177339/
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “Look, Who’s Watching”, Business India, Annual CSR Issue, August 2019, pp 120-121.
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “Breaching Yet Another Male Bastion: Challenges and Opportunities for Women Leaders in SCM”, CPO Innovation.com, August issue, 2019
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “4Ps in the Digital Age”, CPO Innovation.com, July 2, 2019; https://lnkd.in/fU8pNZK
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “AI-ML power: Misplaced Paranoia?” ForbesIndia.com, June 14, 2019; http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/aiml-power-misplaced-paranoia/53941/1
- Kalra, S.K. and Mathew, J (2019). “Soul factor, the missing link in B-schools”, The Hindu BusinessLine, May 31, 2019. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/soul-factor-the-missing-link-in-b-schools/article27389498.ece
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “Lessons from the best: How India’s L&M Industry can take it up a notch”, Financial Express, Brand Wagon, May 13, 2019; (print) https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/lessons-from-the-best-how-indias-lm-industry-can-take-it-up-a-notch/1576265/.
- Mathew, Jones (2019) quoted in Lata Jha’s 'Avengers: Endgame' set for biggest Hollywood release in India’, LiveMint, https://www.livemint.com/industry/media/-avengers-endgame-set-for-biggest- hollywood-release-in-india-1556108274004.html, April 24, 2019
- Mathew, Jones (2019). “Glocalization – Global + Local Approach of Brands”, Entrepreneur; https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/331465, March 29, 2019
- Dr Jones Mathew, Dr Umashankar Venkatesh and Prof Anirban Chauduri, (2019), “FMCG Companies should recognize the “new rural India” to stay relevant: Study”, Hindu BusinessLine, February 19. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/fmcg-companies-should-recognise-the-new-rural-india-to-stay-relevant-study/article26313814.ece.
- Mathew, Jones (2018). “Marketing to the Rainbow Consumer”, Hindu Business Line.com, October, 4, 2018. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/catalyst/marketing-the-rainbow-consumer/article25113447.ece
- Mathew, Jones (2018). “AI Assistants - The New Gatekeepers in the Consumer Decision-Making Process”, Silicon India Technology, August 7, 2018. https://technology.siliconindiamagazine.com/viewpoint/ai-assistants-the-new-gatekeepers-in-the-consumer-decisionmaking-process-nwid-13497.html.
- Mathew, Jones (2018). “Data Supremacy: Choice Between Distributed or Concentrated Locus”. BusinessWorld. June 27, 2018. http://businessworld.in/article/Data-Supremacy-Choice-Between-Distributed-Or-Concentrated-Locus/24-06-2018-152750/
- Mathew, Jones (2018). “Finding new routes to enter homes”. Business Standard, Quoted in article on Online Furniture Rental companies. June 19, 2018.
- Mathew, Jones (2018). “The frightening future of data tyranny”, Forbes India online, March 1, 2018; http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/the-frightening-future-of-data-tyranny/49547/1
- 5 Marketing Trends that will Rule the Market in 2018, https://yourstory.com/2017/12/5-marketing-trends-rule-market-2018/, published December 8, 2017. Published in Yourstory.com.
- Mathew, Jones (2017). "Personal product ownership is passé: Is Indian consumer behavior changing?", Forbes India, September 14, 2017. http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/personal-product-ownership-is-pass%C3%A9-is-indian-consumer-behavior-changing/48107/1.
- Mathew, Jones (2017). Quoted in “The Task Ahead for Infosys”, Business Standard, 24 August, 2017. Other contributors to the article: Siddharth Reddy, MD, BI Worldwide India and Maanendra Singh, Managing Partner, Antal International; http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/the-task-ahead-for-infosys-117082301511_1.html
- Mathew, Jones (2017). Quoted in “How GM can Reduce Exit Pain” by Ritwik Sharma. Business Standard, 3.7.2017, page 14, along with an ISB Professor, a PwC Partner and a GM spokesperson. http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/how-general-motors-can-reduce-exit-pain-117070300020_1.html
- Mathew, Jones (2017). “Today’s Digital Marketing Trends”, Forbes India. 29.6.2017. http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/ todays-digital-brand-marketing-trends/47387/1
- Mathew, Jones (2017). “New-age buyer is seeking experiences”, Business Standard, 29.6.2017. http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/new-age-tech-savvy-buyer-is-seeking-experience-117062801450_1.html
- Mathew, Jones (2017). “Why corporates need to ‘invest’ in case studies”, Financial Express, 1.5.2017. http://www.financialexpress.com/education-2/why-corporates-need-to-invest-in-case-studies/648412/
- “Professor from Great Lakes Institute of Management, Gurgaon Wins at ISB- IVEY Global Case Competition 2016”. HTCampus. http://www.htcampus.com/article/professor-great-lakes-institute-management-gurgaon-wins-isb-ivey-global-case-competition-2016/
Journal Reviewer / Editorial Board Member
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of Review of Global Economy, Trade and International Business (RGETIB), Houston, USA, since March 2020
- Reviewer on the Journal of Indian Business Research since 2019 ABDC Category C Journal, Emerald Publishing.
- Reviewer on the International Journal of Business and Globalization since 2019 ABDC Category C, InderScience Publishers
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Amity Journal of Commerce and Financial Review, Journal of the ACCF, Amity University, NOIDA since 2018.
- Book Evaluator for Publishing, Oxford University Press, since 2019.
PhD Research Advisory Committee Member
- Amity University, NOIDA
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
Management Development Programs in the areas of:
- Services Marketing in the Automotive Domain
- Selling Skills in a Virtual Covid Affected World
- Marketing Strategies
- Negotiations for Higher Profitability
- Marketing for non-Marketing Professionals
- Presentation and Communication Skills
- Motivation and Team Building
- Leadership as a Life Skill
Companies where MDPs conducted:
Hero Motocorp, Nokia Siemens Networks, Reebok, TERI, Department of Women and Child Welfare (Govt of Delhi), Somany Ceramics Ltd, PHDCCI –New Delhi, Jaipur, Lucknow, and Patna; Escorts; IIFT –New Delhi; New Horizons –NOIDA (UP); SR Technologies- New Delhi; Li & Fung-Gurgaon; Wire & Fabriks, Kolkata/Jaipur.
Management Consultant to
Ecosuut.com – A sustainable fashion brand