Dr. Bala V. Balachandran
A teacher by qualification but an academic entrepreneur by choice, Bala Balachandran is one of the best known names in the Indian and American Management Education landscape. His teaching days began as early as 1960 while as a student at Annamalai University, India from where he moved to Carnegie Mellon, Dayton and finally to Kellogg at Northwestern University in the USA where he served as Distinguished Professor for almost 35 years till his retirement in 2008.
With more than 100 research publications and several books to his credit, Prof. Bala’s research interests focuses on Strategic Profitability through Customer Centric business strategies. His groundbreaking work in the areas of accounting, forecasting, and strategic decision support systems has earned him numerous scholastic honors, awards, and fellowships. He serves as a consultant to the senior management of many Companies, Educational Institutions as well as the Governments of the United States, India and Malaysia. He has been at the helm of creating top-rated b-schools and Management programs in the USA, UK, Isreal, Thailand, Germany, Malaysia etc.
Prof. Bala has been a key player in revamping the Management education landscape in India since the early nineties. He part of the team that recruited the first set of faculty members for IIM Bangalore in the late 60’s. He has been instrumental in designing the MBA Program at MDI, Gurgaon which was a collaborative effort between the Indian Government, Kellogg School of Management and the UNDP. He was a part of the founding team of the ISB at Hyderabad and chaired the Curriculum and Dean Search committees. Setting up Great Lakes Institute of Management in 2004 in his hometown was the logical next step for the professor turned edu-preneur. The Government of India conferred on him, the ‘Padmashri’ in 2001, in recognition of his contribution towards higher education in India.
Prof. Bala has the rare honor (for an Indian in America) of having an endowed chair professorship in his name. Several colleagues from Kellogg, including Donald P. Jacobs (Kellogg Dean Emeritus), Roger Nelson (retired Deputy Chairman for Ernst & Young), and Harry Kraemer Jr. (former Chairman and CEO of Baxter), have led a campaign to raise $1 million for an endowed professorship at the Kellogg School of Management in Prof. Bala V. Balachandran’s name in recognition of his invaluable and tireless service to the institute over the last three decades. He has been voted among the top 10 Global Thought Leaders in a recent article published by the Economic Times. Prof. Bala is a full time faculty member in the area of Accounting and Finance and Chairs the Academic Advisory Council at Great Lakes apart from serving as the Dean and Chairman of the school.
Education: BSc (Hons.) 1959, Mathematics, Statistics, MA 1961, MSc 1963, Applied Statistics, Annamalai University; MSE 1969, Engineering, University of Dayton; MSIA 1972, Business Administration, PhD 1973, Industrial Administration, Carnegie-Mellon University; CPA 1978; CMA 1979; Certified Internal Auditor 1984.
- “Mergers and acquisitions and trade integration : a spatial and temporal study of India" (Bala V Balachandran and Lavanya Chellapilla) - Journal of Global Economics (2016)
- “Innovation from within - How to energize the organization to reach beyond compliance” (Bala V Balachandran and Mohan Nair) – Journal of Cost Management (2016)
- “Connecting the Front Line to the Bottom Line: The Next Avatar of Cost Management” (Sudhakar V Balachandran and Bala V Balachandran) – Journal of Cost Management (2016)
- "Governance, Risk and Compliance – The Value Driver for good Corporate Governance" Bala V Balachandran and K Shyam Sundar, Journal of Cost Management, December 2012.
- "Achieving operational excellence through a Strategy Aligned Execution Platform - Extending the ERP Models" Bala V Balachandran and Chandrasekhar Srinivasan, Journal of Cost Management, December 2011
- "Strategy Aligned, Integrated and Linked Scoring System (SAILS)” (with Keshav Narayan Kantamneni and Mohan Das Pai) in Journal of Cost Management, December 2009
- "An Investigation of the Informational Role of Short Interest in the Nasdaq Market", Journal of Finance with Desai Hemang; Ramesh, K, Ramu Thiagarajan
- "Interface Between ABC/M Requirements and Multi-Dimensional Databases", forthcoming in Journal of Cost Management, 2003 with Shyam Sunder
- "Velocity Costing for a Manufacturing Environment" with David Barter, Journal of Cost Management, January/February 2002, Vol. 16, No. 1.
- "Optimal Cost Management and Managerial Incentives" with S. Sridhar, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Vol. 18, No. 3, Autumn 1999, pp. 193-227
- "Activity Based Management for Atutomobile - Retail Store", (with Jonathan Booth), Journal of Cost Management, September-October 1999, Vol. 13, No. 5
- "Activity-Based Management for Systems Consulting Industry" with S. Mahalingam and F. C. Kohli, Journal of Cost Managemnt, May-June, 1999, Volume 13, No. 3
- "Volume Adjusted Costing: A Quick and Implementable Solution" with Glen Navis, Journal of Cost Management, March/April 1999, Vol. 13, No. 2
- "Growth Strategies Creating Shareholder Value" (with S. Chaudhuri, Indian Accounting Review, Vol. 3, No. 1, June 1999, pp. 1-17.
- "What Can Go Wrong with ABC" (with N. Thondavadi), Corporate Controller Journal, Vol. 11, No. 6, Sept./Oct. 1999, pp. 21-28.
- "On the Efficiency of Cost-Based Rules for Capacity Planning" with (R. Balakrishnan and Siva Konduru), The Accounting Review, Vol. 72, No. 4, October 1997.
- "Structured Interdependencies and Managerial Control" (with Sri Sridhar), Management Science, Vol. 42, No. 3, March 1997.
- "Capacity Planning with Demand Uncertainty" (with R. Balakrishnan and Siva Konduru), forthcoming in Engineering Economist.
- "Multiple Working Basis for Generalized and Variable Upper Boundry Linear Programs", (with A. B. Agbadudu, Operations Research: Methods, Models and Applications, Quorum Books, 1998, pp. 29-48.
- "Activity Based Cost Management for Improving Sustainable Profitability", Cost Management Insiders Report, pp. 5-8, Vol. 2, No. 4, November 1995
- "Joint Cost Allocation for Multiple Lots" (with Ram T. S. Ramakrishnan), Management Science, Vol. 42, No. 2, February 1996, pp. 247-258.
- "Auditors' Legal Liability in the U.S." Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 2, No. 3, Fall 1993, pp. 333-338.
- "Audit Services and Fees and Large Accounting Firms" (with Dam Simon), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 2, no. 3, Fall 1993, pp. 339-348.
- "Management Compensation Surrounding an Accounting Change and Long-Term Construction Projects with R. Ramanan, Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 10, No. 1, Fall 1993, pp. 211-226.
- "Cost Drivers Optimization in Activity-Based Costing" (with Yair M. Babad), The Accounting Review, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 563-575, July 1993.
- "Strategic Activity Based Accounting", Advanced Executive Brief of Business Week, May, 1994.
- "More Powerful Portfolio Approaches to Regressing Abnormal Returns on Firm Specific Variables for Cross-sectional Studies" (with R. Chandra). Forthcoming in Journal of Finance.
- "Contingent Fees for Audit Firms" (with Ron Dye and Bob Magee), Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, Autumn 1990, pp. 239-266.
- "A Synthesis of Alternative testing Procedures for Event Studies" (with Ramesh Chandra), Journal of Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 6, 2-II, Spring 1990, pp. 607-635.
- "A Generalized Transhipment Model for Cash Management Decisions" (with Raj Padmarajan), forthcoming in Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance.
- "Cash Management Decisions: A Generalized Network Approach", (with R. Padmarajan), forthcoming in Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance.
- "Discussion of Optimal Employment Contracts and the Returns to Monitoring in a Principal-Agent Context", Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 6, No. 2-II, Spring 1990, pp. 796-799.
- "Operational Matrix Accounting" (with Y. Babad), Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 5, No. 2, Spring 1989, pp. 775-792.
- "Optimal Internal Control Under Dynamic Conditions" (with Ram Ramanan), Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance, Vol. 3, No. 1, Spring 1988, pp. 1-18.
- "An Empirical Test of the Statistical Association of Market Risk and Financial Accounting, Allocation" (with Jack Blann, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Vol. 15, No. 1, Spring 1988, pp. 101-114.
- "Cost Management with Cost Accounting" presented at Research Symposium of I.I.M, Ahmadabad and published in Scientific Publications, 1987, India
- "A theory of Audit Partnership," (with Ram Ramakrishnan), Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 25, NO. 1, Spring 1987, pp. 111-126
- "Imperfect Information, Insurance and Auditor's Legal Liability", (with Nandu Nagarajan), Journal of Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, Spring, 1987, pp. 281-301.
- "The Allocation of Fixed and Variable Costs From Service Department", (with Lode Li and Robert P. Magee), Journal of Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, Fall 1987, pp. 164-185.
- "An Information System for Administering Welfare Programs", (with Tom Prince), Journal of Research in Governmental and Non-Profit Accounting", Vol. III, Spring 1987.
- "Threshold Margins for Creating Economic Value," (with N. J. Nagarajan and Alfred Rappaport), Journal of Financial Management, Vol. 15, No. 1, Spring 1986.
- "Discussion of an Analysis of the Auditor's Uncertainty About Probabilities", Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, Spring 1986, pp. 283-287.
- "Chargeback Can be Purposeful: Live and Let Live is the Goal", 1985 Yearbook, GIBA, Chulalonghorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
- "Planning and Control Systems for R&D Organizations," (with Richard W. Srch), Advances in Management Information Systems, 1984, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York, pp. 133-153.
- "An Interactive Audit-Staff Scheduling Decision Support System," (with A. Zoltners), The Accounting Review, Vol. LVI, No. 4, October 1981, pp. 801-812.
- "Joint Cost Allocation: A Unified Approach," (with Ram T. S. Ramakrishnan), The Accounting Review, Vol. LVI, No. 1, January 1981, pp. 85-95.
- "Internal Control and External Auditing for Incentive Compensation Schedules", (with Ram T. S. Ramakrishnan, Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 18, Supplement, 1980, pp. 140-171.
- "Auditing for Compensation Schedules--A Reply," (with Ram T. S. Ramakrishnan, Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 18, Supplement, 1980, pp. 182-183.
- "A Mathematical Programming Model for Optimal Service Selection in the Airline Industry", (with S. K. Jain), European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 8, 1981, pp. 324-334.
- "Cost Allocation for Maximizing Hospital Reimbursement Under Third Party Cost Contracts", (with D. Dittman), Health Care Management Review, Vol. 3, No. 2, Spring 1978, pp. 61-70
- "The Stochastic Generalized Transportation Network--An Operator Theoretic Approach", International Journal of Networks, Vol. 9, 1979, pp. 169-184.
- "Transportation and Generalized Transportation Problems; Theory and Applications with Operator Theory", (with V. Srinivasan and G. L. Thompson), Mathematical Programming Study, No. 15, Network Models and Associated Applications, North Holland, 1981, pp. 58-85.
- "Kommentar Zu, Losung des Marketing-Mix-Problems mit Hilfe der Geometrischen Programmierung", Entscheidungshilfen in Marketing, C. E. Poeschel Publishing, Stuttgar, W. Germany, 1977, pp. 467-495.
- "Losung des Marketing-Mix Problems mit Hilfer derGeometrischeu Programmieuring", (with D. H. Gensch, Entscheidungshilfen im Marketing, 1977, pp. 448-466.
- "An Integer Generalized Transportation Model for Optimal Job Assignment in Computer Networks", Operations Research, Vol. 24, No. 4, July-August 1976.
- "Management of Program Storage in Computers", (with J. Babad and E. A. Stohr), Management Science, Vol. 23, No. 4, December 1976.
- "A Semi-Markovian Model for Persuasive Communication", (with S. D. Deshmukh), Management Science, Vol. 22, No. 8, April 1976.
- "Storage Decisions in Information Systems", (with S. D. Deshmukh), AIIE Transactions, Vol. 8, No. 3, September 1976
- "Optimal Facility Location Under Random Demand with General Cost Structure", (with S. Jain), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 23, NO. 3, September 1976.
- "Transportation Type Models with Quantity Discounts", (with A. Perry), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 2, June 1976.
- "Optimal Production Growth for the Machine Loading Problem," Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 3, September 1975, pp. 593-607.
- "An Operator Theory for the Generalized Transportation Problem - I: Basic Theory", (with G. L. Thompson), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 1, March 1975, pp. 79-100.
- "An Operator Theory for the Generalized Transportation Problem - II Rim, Cost and Bound Operators", (with G. L. Thompson), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 1, March 1975, pp. 101-126.
- "An Operator Theory for the Generalized Transportation Problem -III: Weight Operators", (with G. L. Thompson), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 2, June 1975, pp. 297-316.
- "An Operator theory for the Generalized Transportation Problem - IV: Global Operators", (with G. L. Thompsons), Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 2, June 1975, pp. 327-340
- "Management Science Models for Adjusting the Customer Mix, Product Mix, Resource Mix and Marketing Mix in the Face of Shortages and Inflation", (with Philip Kotler), Sloan Management Review, Vol. 17, No. 1, November 1975, pp. 1-17.
- "Solving the 'Marketing Mix' Problem Using Geometric Programming", (with D. H. Gensch), Management Science, Vol. 21, NO. 2, October 1974, pp. 161-171.
- A Comment on "Solving the Marketing Mix Problem Using Geometric Programming", Management Science, Vol. 21, No. 10, June 1975, pp. 1204-1205.
- "Cost Evaluation of Storage Schemes", (with J. Babad and E. A. Stohr), Proceedings of ACM, November 1974.
- "Models of the Job Allocation Problem in Computer Networks", (with J. W. McCredie and O. Mikhail), Proceedings of COMPCON 73, IEEE, February 1973.
- "Reliability Design for Airborne Ecological Systems", (with L. S. Gephart), Annals of Assurance Sciences, January 1972, pp. 393-399.
- "System Effectiveness Simulation Model with Non-Parametric Dependability", AIIE Transactions, Vol. III, No. 3, September 1971, pp. 221-228.
- "A Predictive Model for Monitoring the Life Cycle of a Product", (with Subash Jain), Combined Proceedings of the AMA, September 1971, pp. 543-546.
- "Non-Parametric vs. Exponential Reliability in Simulating System Effectiveness", Annals of Assurance Sciences, Vol. X, June 1971.
- "A computerized Approach to Simulating System Effectiveness", (with L. S. Gephart), Annals of Assurance Sciences, Vol. IV, January 1971, pp. 245-253.
- "Statistical Investigation of Amplitude Fluctuations Detected on Carrier Signals Propogated at 9-7 Ghz and 69 Ghz", (with J. H. Alt), AFAL-TR-170, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, July 1970.
- "A stochastic System Effectiveness Simulation Model", (with L. S. Gephart), ASB-69-15, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, June 1969
- "A Note on the Regression Model for Characteristics of Higher Secondary Students", in A. U. Science Journal, Vol. XXXVI, 1964 (India).
- "The Government of India Prize Bond Scheme - Statistical Study," in A. U. Science Journal, Vol. XXIX, 1963, (India).
Awards & Recognitions:
- Recipient of the fourth highest civilian award of the Government of India - the Padmashri, in 2001.
- “Global Thought Leader Awards”, 2016 at Adding Smiles organization
- “Champions of Chennai Award”, 2015 by KSA Trust
- Voted among the top 10 Global Thought Leaders in an article published by the Economic Times.
- Serves on the International Advisory Board of the UniRazak at Kuala Lumpur and renders consulting/advisory services to the top brass of the Malaysian Government.
- Executive Professor and Strategy Advisor to the Dean at the Bauer College, University of Houston.
- An endowed professorship at the Kellogg School of Management in Prof. Bala V. Balachandran’s name in recognition of his invaluable and tireless service to the institute over the last three decades.
- “Living Legends Learning Lessons: Up, Close and Personal with 10 Global Icons” - Dr. Bala V Balachandran & Ms. A. Kavipriya, Westland publishers (2016).