Dr. Prabhaker joined the NIU College of Business in 2007 and currently serves as associate dean. Prior to his current assignment, Dr. Prabhaker was the dean of a business school in the University of North Carolina system and for several years, the associate dean at the Illinois Institute of Technology's Stuart School of Business. He has taught courses in Business/Marketing Strategy, Marketing Research, Marketing Management and Technology Commercialization primarily for graduate and corporate/executive students. Dr. Prabhaker is well known for his contributions to the broad are of technology-enabled business strategy. His research has been published in the fields of Marketing Strategy driven by Manufacturing Technologies; Information Integrity enabled Business Strategies; Call-Center Technology enabled Marketing Strategy; e-Business Strategy and Value-based marketing. He has also presented his research in numerous academic conferences in the US and in several European and Asian countries. Dr. Prabhaker earned a PhD in Business Administration and a Master's degree in Quantitative Methods from the Graduate School of Management, University of Rochester. He also holds an MBA and an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering.
List of Publications
- “Metrics for Business Strategy” Journal of Competitiveness Review , Vol.16(1), March 2006
- “eMarketplaces.” Chapter in The Internet Encyclopedia, John Wiley Publishers, in press, December 2003.
- “Integrated Marketing-Manufacturing Strategies.” Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2001.
- “The Impact of Manufacturing Flexibility upon Marketing Strategies.” International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 3, Nos. 1/2, 2001. 5. “Who Owns the On-Line Consumer?” The Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 17 Spring 2000.
- “The Power of Technology in Business Selling: Call Centers.” Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol. 12, No. 3/4, 1997
- “Marketing Implications of Newer Manufacturing Technologies.” Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 10, No. 2, November, 1995
- “Identifying Who Dislikes Television Advertising: Not By Demographics Alone.” Journal of Advertising Research, November/December 1994.
- “Hierarchical Heuristics in Evaluation of Competitive Brands Based on Multiple Cues.” Journal of Psychology and Marketing, June 1994.
- “Advertising in the People’s Republic of China.” Chapter in Global and Multinational Advertising, edited by Basil G. Englis, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1994, pp. 159-170.
- “Functional and Belief Dimensions of Attitudes Toward Television Advertising: Implications for Copy-testing.” Journal of Advertising Research, September 1992.
- “Functional and Expressive Attributes as Determinants of Brand Attitudes.” Research in Marketing, edited by Jagdish Sheth, 1990.
- “A Theoretical Investigation of the Advertising-Price Interaction.” Journal of Midwest Marketing, Spring 1989. (Won the Outstanding Research Paper Award (1989) given by the MidWest Business Administration Association.)
- “Notes on Aggregation Criteria in Normative Market Segmentation.” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. XXI, August 1984, pp. 332-5.
- With Thomas Golaszewski. “Applying Marketing Strategies to Worksite Health Promotion Efforts.” Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, April 1984, pp. 188-92.
Refereed Conference Proceedings – Full Article published
- “CRM sans Communication is Doomed” Presented and published in proceedings of the Western Decision Sciences Institute Conference, Vancouver (March 2005)
- “Information Pollution: A Disaster Waiting to Happen” Presented and published article in proceedings of Global Conference on Business & Economics Annual Conference (July 2004)
- “Information Integrity: An Emerging Field and State of Knowledge.” Presented at the conference and published article in the Proceedings of the Portland International Conference in Management of Engineering and Technology, July 2003.
- “Next Challenge for Global Online Companies: Rethink Metrics for Success.” Presented at the conference and published article in the refereed Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Global Business and Economic Development, Bangkok, Thailand, January 2003.
- “Marble from Greece: Establishing a Category Brand in the United States.” Presented at the conference and published article in the Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Global Business and Economic Development, Bangkok, Thailand, January 2003.
- “On-Line Privacy: A Multidimensional Matter,” Proceedings of the Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Sydney, Australia, November 2001.
- “A Cross-National Evaluation of the Transnational Distribution System.” Presented at Production Operation Management Society Meeting, South Africa, June-July 1998.
- “Survey of Manufacturing System Choice and its Implications on the Market Strategies.” Presented at Production Operation Management Society Meeting, South Africa, June-July 1998.
- “Technology-Driven Product-Life-Cycles: Their Impact on Business Metrics.” Presented at IEMS Conference, Florida. Published in the Proceedings of IEMS Conference, 1998
- “Effects of Flexible Manufacturing Technology on Consumer Choices.” Presented at IEMS Conference, March 1997, Cocoa Beach, Florida.
- “A Heuristic Model to Evaluate the Profitability of Seamless Marketing Manufacturing Strategy Development.” Presented at the POMS International Meeting, July 1996, Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- “Foreign Producer Access to Distribution Channels: The Customs, Practices, and Legal Aspects of Japan’s Distribution System.” Presented at the POMS International Meeting, July 1996, Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- “Developing Manufacturing Strategy Based on Market Inputs.” Proceedings of the International Production Research Conference, Jerusalem, August 1995.
- “A Neural Network Model of Consumer Product Quality Evaluation.” Presented at the Third International Decision Sciences Institute Meeting, Puebla, Mexico. Published in conference proceedings, June 1995.
- “Simulation of the effects of Commercial Spot Announcement Price Negotiation on Optimal Electronic Media Mix.” In Proceedings of the Decisions Sciences Institute, November, 1989, pp. 744-6.
- “Marketing Effectiveness and Firm Performance: A Case Study.” In Proceedings of the American Marketing Association, 1988, pp. 28-31. 32. “A Probabilistic Functional Approach to Analyzing Individual Evaluation of Compiled Nutrition Information.” Advances in Consumer Research, 1987.
- “An Analytical Comparison of Single-Stage and Two-Stage Models of Consumer Behavior.” In Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1987.
- “Advertising in China: A Strategic Analysis.” In Proceedings of the American Marketing Association, 1986, pp. 228-30.
- “Reliability Test of Deal-Proneness Measures: Some Preliminary Results.” In Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1985.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2002 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, Stuart School of Business, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1999 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, Stuart School of Business, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1994 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, Stuart School of Business, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1989 Outstanding Research Paper Award, Midwest Business Administration Association
- 1987 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, SUNY Buffalo
- 1986 MBA Professor of the Year Award, SUNY Buffalo
- 1985 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, SUNY Buffalo