Swaminathan T N
T. N. Swaminathan Ph.D., is currently Professor of Marketing and Director, Branding, PR & Alumni Relations at Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai.
His career has spanned close to 40 years both in Industry & Academics. He worked for close to 33 years in companies like HLL, Wipro, Shaw Wallace, Dynavision, Geoffrey Manners, Dabur and Tate & Lyle North America. His experience is rich a blend of in-depth urban, rural and international marketing, sales and distribution, turnaround and heading SBUs.
A Microbiologist turned MBA (IIM-Calcutta), he has cross functional experience arising out of a strong R&D, Systems, Sales & Marketing and a Strategic thinking background in MNCs & Indian organizations of repute. Prior to moving in to Chennai in 2004, he was the CEO (Vice President & Business Head) of Tate & Lyle North America’s J V in India before moving on to an international B2B assignment with Tate & Lyle North America. He continued till 2006 as a retainer to Tate & Lyle North America to advise on South & South East Asia. He has been involved in Turnaround of several SBU’s of HLL, Shaw Wallace, Dabur & Bharath Starch amongst others. Currently he is a consultant for some renown Chennai based companies.
Dr. Swaminathan has been teaching since 1992 - Marketing, Sales & Strategic Management courses & MDPs as Visiting / Guest Faculty at IIMC, IIMB, IIM Ranchi, KC Institute of Management-Mumbai, IMT-Ghaziabad, IMI- Delhi, Fore school Delhi, BIM-Trichy, ITM-Chennai etc. He was Head - External Relations & Adjunct Professor at IFMR-Chennai before moving to Great Lakes in 2008 as Director-External Relations & Professor of Marketing.
Dr. Swaminathan’s publications include several Peer Reviewed Research papers in leading Indian and International publications, Case studies Published in Ivey Richard Case collection , Emerald Emerging Markets case Study Collection and IMT Case Journal and a Coffee Table Book. Besides, his articles have been published in Forbes India, ET, BLoC, BW Disrupt, Tech Story, Deccan Herald, Metropolis, Paradigm among others , and he has reviewed text books for Pearson Prentice Hall & Vijay Nicole. He is currently authoring a Text Book on “Digital Marketing” for Cengage publications. A list of his representative publications is given below.
His areas of interest are: IoT & Industry 4.0.,Brand Marketing, Strategic Marketing, Services Marketing, B2B , Sports Management & Retailing besides Turning Around Companies.
LIST OF REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS
- Swaminathan T.N.(Editor) (2014) Global Mindset Indian Roots - Thought Leadership and Beyond. Pg. 122 Emerald Publishers, New Delhi, India. (ISBN :978-81-7966-392-9)
- Swaminathan T.N., and Rajan C.R., (2018) - Eggscellence : SKM Egg Products Export (India) Ltd. Ivey Case Collection - https://www.iveycases.com/ProductView.aspx?id=95546 Product Number: 9B18A030 Publication Date: 05/24/2018
- Swaminathan T.N, and Arun, T. (2014) ‘Aachi - Spicing up a Growth Trajectory’ Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, March 2014. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/EEMCS-09-2013-0185, (ISSN - 2045 -0621.
- Swaminathan T.N, and Arun , T. ‘Jade Magnet - Growing a Creative Crowd-sourcing Enterprise’,(2013) Ivey Case Collection - Product No. 9B13M085 - 9/20/2013 https://www.iveycases.com/ProductView.aspx?id=60053
- Xavier M.J., Arun, T and Swaminathan T.N. (2011) ‘Call taxi service on the Fast Track’, 2010, IMT Case Journal, 1 (1) .Pp 1-13 (ISSN - 2269 - 6743)
RESEARCH PAPERS (PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS)
- Viswanathan, P.K. and Swaminathan, T.N. (2017) Quantifying the relative importance of key drivers of Landing Page. Indian Journal of Marketing Indian Journal of Marketing,47(11) ,pp.24 - 35 (ISSN 0973-8703)
- Rajan, C.R., Swaminathan, T.N. & Pavithra, M. (2017) Key Drivers of Purchase Intent by Indian Consumers in Omni-channel Shopping. Indian Journal of Marketing,47(5) 7-20.
- Swaminathan, T.N., and Viswanathan, P.K., (2015) “Social Marketing - Awareness & Satisfaction Levels of Government Aided Health Insurance Project in Rural Tamil Nadu”, Indian Journal of Marketing, 45(6),pp. 7-20(ISSN 0973-8703)
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Viswanathan, P.K(2014)“ Drivers of Consumer Attitudes and their impact on Fast Food outlets in India”, Academy of Taiwan Business management Review ,10(2), pp.102-114 (ISSN-1813-0534) - ABDC “B”
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Balasubramanian .G.(2014)“Drivers of Quality Management in Selected Pharmaceutical Companies in Tamil Nadu - A Chi Square Approach to Validation”, Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management, 7 (2) pp. 5-15 (ISSN-0975-2854)
- Swaminathan, T.N., Amar Harish and Binoy Cherian(2013)“Effect of Social Media Outreach Engagement in Institutions of Higher Learning in India”, Asia Pacific Journal of Management Research and Innovation, 9(4), pp.349-357 (ISSN – 2319-510X)
- Swaminathan, T.N. ,Viswanathan P.K. and Mehta, Niyati (2013) “Consumer Preference And Effectiveness Of OOH (Out Of Home) Media In India”, Academy of Taiwan Business management Review, 9 (3), pp.122-131. (ISSN-1813-0534)
- Swaminathan, T.N. and Balasubramanian, G (2013) “Drivers of Quality Management in Select Pharmaceutical Companies in Tamilnadu - a Rotated Factor Matrix Approach”, Academy of Taiwan Business management Review, 9(2), pp.106-115 (ISSN - 1813 - 0534)
- Swaminathan, T.N. ( 1998) “Supercomplan : Five Commandments”, Paradigm 1 (2) pp 82-85
- Renting Mind Space - Metropolis - May 1992
- STRATCOMPLAN - Heads or Tails , Brand Equity - November, 1993
- Back to brand basics - BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) June 2016
- IoT: consumer paradise or privacy nightmare? BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) July 2016
- How technology is transforming sports - BLOC ( Hindu Business Line on Campus) August 2016
- Demystifying Machine Learning - BW Disrupt - May 15, 2017 http://bwdisrupt.businessworld.in/article/Demystifying-Machine-Learning-/15-05-2017-118157/
- Machine Learning Job Loss or Not? -BW Disrupt - May 27, 2017 - http://bwdisrupt.businessworld.in/article/Machine-Learning-Job-Loss-or-Not-/26-05-2017-118941/
- A Paradigm Shift - Experiential Learning - June 7, 2017 - Deccan Herald Print Edition -http://www.deccanherald.com/content/616032/a-paradigm-shift.html
- Demystifying MarTecha.k.a Marketing Technology - June 27, 2017 - Tech Story http://techstory.in/demystifying-marketing-technology/
- Leveraging IoT to travel on the GST highway - July 3, 2017 - Business Standard on line http://www.business-standard.com/content/b2b-manufacturing-industry/leveraging-iot-to-travel-on-the-gst-highway-117062900580_1.html
- From Horseless to Driverless - Next big opportunity for tech? - October 9, 2017 , Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/from-horseless-to-driverless-next-big-opportunity-for-tech/48311/1
- From driverless cars to pilotless aircrafts - Can new technologies break perception barriers? - October 25 , 2017, Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/from-driverless-cars-to-pilotless-aircrafts/48477/1
- The Emerging Landscape of E-Retailing & The Millennials Business World , October 28, 2017 http://businessworld.in/article/The-Emerging-Landscape-of-E-Retailing-The-Millennials/28-10-2017-129782/
- Chennai Rains: IoT enabled smarter waste management, DT Next Chennai,December3,2017 http://www.dtnext.in/News/City/2017/12/03232946/1054233/Chennai-Rains-IoT-Enabled-Smarter-Waste-Management.vpf?TId=112132
- Technology In Marketing Communication - Is It RIP For Traditional Media? , Business World April 14, 2018 ,http://businessworld.in/article/Technology-In-Marketing-Communication-Is-It-RIP-For-Traditional-Media-/14-04-2018-146341/
- Triple entry accounting & Block Chain - Are they vaccines for financial scams? April 22, 2018 Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/triple-entry-accounting-block-chain-are-they-vaccines-for-financial-scams-/49945/1
- AIMLA - The new Mantra for Technology! June 13, 2018 Forbes India http://www.forbesindia.com/article/great-lakes-institute-of-management/aimla-the-new-mantra-for-technology/50467/1
- The Power of Marketing - Indian Soft Power in Europe - (June 2014). http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/the-power-of-marketing-indian-soft-power-in-europe
- Technology & Sports - Part 1 - LED Stumps & Bails - (April 2014) http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/technology-sports-part-1-led-stumps-bails
- In Conversation with a Legend - Sir Ratan N Tata - (July 2015) http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/in-conversation-with-a-legend-sir-ratan-n-tata
- Internet of Things Part 1 - (June 2016) http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/iot-internet-of-things-part-1
- Internet of Things Part2: Will the Internet of Things be a privacy nightmare or consumer paradise? - (July 2016).http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/internet-of-things-part2-will-the-internet-of-things-be-a-privacy-nightmare-or-consumer-paradise
- Technology in Sports & IoT - (August 2016) http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/blog/technology-in-sports-iot
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS:
- Vice - President - TiE Chennai (2017 - 2019).
- Member – Governing Council (2015 - 2017), TiE Chennai.
- "Best Marketing Professor Award" at ABP News National Education awards - July 2015