Great Lakes Institute of Management
Area of Expertise: Analytics, Data Science
With rich and varied experience across academia, research, industry, training, and consulting,Dr. P.K Viswanathan currently serves as Professor Analytics at Great Lakes Institute of Management. He has been ranked consecutively for three years as one of 10 Most Prominent Analytics Academicians in India-2017, one of 20 Most Prominent Analytics & Data Science Academicians in India 2018, and done of 10 Most Prominent Data Science Academicians In India: 2019. Dr. P.K.Viswanathan teaches MBA students, Business Statistics, , Business Analytics, Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning Analytics, and Spreadsheet Modeling, He is the Principal Faculty in Analytics for the Management Development Programs conducted by Great Lakes.In his industrial tenure spanning 15+ years, he has held senior management positions in Ballarpur Industries (BILT) of the Thapar Group and the J.K. Industries of the J.K. Organization. Apart from executing corporate consultancy assignments, Dr P.K.Viswanathan has also designed and conducted training programs for many leading organizations in India. Holding degrees in MSc(Madras), MBA(FMS, Delhi), MS(Manitoba, Canada), PhD(Madras), he has authored four book—three on Business Statistics published by Pearson Education, and one on Marketing Research published by the British Open University Business School, the U.K. As a prolific writer, he has published research articles in reputed national and international journals and also presented papers in national and international conferences.
Scoring Models, Classifiers, Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, and AI
- Co-Author of the book titled "Business Statistics–A First Course" –7 th Edition fully revised new book David M Levine, Kathryn A. Szabat, David F. Stephan, and P.K.Viswanathan Publisher-Pearson Education (2017)
- Co-Author of the book titled "Business Statistics–A First Course" –5 th Edition David M Levine, Timothy C. Krehbiel , and Mark L. Berenson, P.K. Viswanathan Publisher-Pearson Education (2010)
- Author of the book titled "Business Statistics-An Applied Orientation" ,P.K.Viswanathan Publisher- Pearson Education (2003).
- Author of the Course Book on "Marketing Research" for the British Open University Business School, U.K(2004). Publisher-Open University, U.K.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- "Modelling Credit Default in Microfinance—An Indian Case Study,P.K.Viswanathan, S.K.Shanthi, Journal of Emerging Market Finance(Sage Publication), Volume: 16 issue: 3(September 2017), page(s): 246-258
- Quantifying the Relative Importance of Key Drivers of Landing Page, P.K.Viswanathan, T.N. Swaminathan, Indian Journal of Marketing ,Volume 47, Issue 11(November 2017) pp-24-35
- "Social Marketing-Predicting the Impact of Government Aided Health Insurance Project in Rural TamilNadu" (Swaminathan T.N, Viswanathan P.K), Indian Journal of Marketing, September 2016
- "Social Marketing-Awareness and Satisfaction Levels of Government Aided Health Insurance Project in Rural Tamil Nadu"(Swaminathan T.N, Viswanathan P.K), Indian Journal of Marketing, June 2015
- "Drivers of Consumer Attitudes and their impact on Fast Food outlets in India" , (Swaminathan .T.N. and Viswanathan.P.K),Academy of Taiwan Business management Review , August 2014
- "Modeling Asset Allocation and Liability Composition for Indian Banks", Emerald- Managerial Finance, July2014, Volume 40, Issue 7
- "Weighted Penalty Cost Approach to Solving Priority Structure Goal Progarmming"(P.K.Viswanathan, G. Balasubramainan), The journal, Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review, Dec 2013
- "Consumer Preference And Effectiveness Of OOH (Out Of Home) Media In India" (T.N.Swaminathan, P.K.Viswanathan, Niyati), The journal, Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review, Dec2013
- "Relative Importance of the Profitability Drivers of Indian Banks-A Preference Decomposition Approach", P.K. Viswanathan, M. Ranganatham, and G. Balasubramanian -IUP Journal of Bank Management, Volume. X No. 2, May 2011
- "Improving Prediction Accuracy of Loan Default-A Case in Rural Credit", (M.J. Xavier, G.Balasubramanian, P.K.Viswanathan), SRM Management Digest, April 2008.
- "Modelling Asset Allocation for banks-A Goal Programming Approach" Journal of National Institute of Bank Management-Prajnan, P.K. Viswanathan and G. Balasubramanian Vol. XXXVI No.1 (April-June 2007)
- "Improving the accuracy of the preference rating in conjoint analysis: A combinatorial optimization approach", P.K. Viswanathan, G. Balasubramanian, and M.J. Xavier- Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review Volume 3*Number 2* August 2007
- "Profiling Banks Using Factor Analysis on Financial Ratios", M.J. Xavier, G. Balsubramanian, and P.K. Viswanathan -Advances in Banking and Finance Studies Volume III, Banking and Insurance First Edition -October 2007
- Conducted Workshop on "Journey from Unsupervised to Supervised Machine Learning" in the Cypher 2018 Analytics India Summit in Bengaluru-September 2018
- Conducted Workshop on Neural Network Really a Black Box ?" in the Cypher 2017 Analytics India Summit in Bengaluru-September 2017
- Conducted Workshop on "Logistic Regression: Power and Practical Utility" in the Cypher 2016 Analytics India Summit in Bengaluru-September 2016
- Presented Paper Titled "Analytic Modeling for Selection of Projects using Priority Goal Programming" Presented(PKV and Vaidy 24 th December 2013)) in the 3rd International Conference on Business Analytics Organized by KSCRM of Great Lakes
- Presented Paper Titled"Sifting the Relative Importance of the Attributes in Conjoint Analysis-Key Issues and their Resolution"(PKV 27 th and 28 th December 2013) in the 7th International Great Lakes NASMEI Conference
- Presented Paper Titled "Default Prediction Models-A Comparative Analysis-Case of Retail Bank"(PKV and GB, 30 th December 2013) in the 8th Annual Research Conference of Yale-Great Lakes Center for Management Research.
- Presented Paper Titled "Modeling Credit Default In Microfinance –An Indian Case Study"(PKV & S.K. Shanthi, 3rd September 2013) in Great Lakes-Union Bank Conference on "Emerging Issues in Banking and Finance
- Participated and presented a paper in the 1 st KSCRM Conference on "Analytics-The Way Forward" held at Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai on 30 th and 31 st July 2010.
- Presented the paper "Predicting corporate credit default probability- a combinatorial approach" at the 4 th Great Lakes NASMEI International Marketing Conference held at Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai on 23 rd and 24 th December 2010.
- Delivered a lecture on the topic Hypothesis Formulation and Testing in the "Workshop on the Application of Statistical Tools and Techniques for Researchers" organized by Department of Commerce, University of Madras on 17 th and 18 th December 2009.
- Presented a paper titled "Improving prediction accuracy of loan default- A case in rural credit" in the International Conference on Theory and Practice of Operational Research in Information Technology & Supply Chain Management (ORITSCM-2007) under the auspices of Operational Research Society of India(ORSI)
- Presented a paper titled "Modeling multi-stage supply chain-a goal programming approach" in the International conference on Operations research as competitive edge organized by Operations Research Society of India, on January 5 th 2007, at Calcutta
- Presented a paper titled "Modeling Supply Chain Optimization-a goal programming approach" in the Seventh International conference on operations and quantitative management organized by AIMS International at Jaipur, India during August 3-8, 2006
- Presented a paper title "Weighted Penalty Cost Approach to Solving Priority Structure Goal Programming Problems" in the International Conference on Operations and Quantitative Management during 9- 11 August 2005 at IIM, Indore.
- "Statistical Analysis on the Competencies for the HR Professionals" in the context of the Asian Feedback Conference held on September 2002 in IFMR in collaboration with University of Michigan, U.S.A.
- Article on the "An Appreciation of the Role of Hypothesis Testing in Decision Making" that is hosted in hyperstat an online site of Rice University. Read More.
- Article titled " Glimpses into Application of Chi-Square Tests in Marketing" hosted in the online site of Rice University. Read More.
Invited News paper/Popular press articles
- "Great Lakes-Trend Setter in Analytics Education", Analytics Insight,June 2018
- "The Nxt.step-Proof of the Pudding", Annual Career Guidance Book, The Hindu, May 2018
- Product Mix problem for Profit Maximization using Linear Programming Model for BILT (Glass Container Division).
- In-house Market Research System for a cosmetic firm.
- Statistical Analysis (Two distinct assignments) on "Smoking Cessation Survey" for a client in UK. These studies were focused exclusively on school children.
- As a Technical Consultant, provided complete domain expertise to a leading mid-size software house for developing Marketing Analytics for a US client.
- Also in the capacity of a Technical Consultant, developed statistical modeling for a leading software firm in the area of forecasting for a US client.
- Developed and implemented a model for maximizing the click through rate for an Ad agency landing page in website.
Reviewer for conference/Journal
- Reviewer Emerald Journals.
- One Research Article-South Asian Journal of Business Studies, July 2018
- Two Research Articles- Journal of Indian Business Research-August 2015 and December 2015.
Session chair/Program chair for conference
- Distinguished Panelist Panel Discussion on the theme "Managing the AI / ML Led Disruption " MMA-IOA Conclave on "AI Transformation for India: Talent Development & Management"(15 th Oct 2018)
- Chair Person for the Panel Discussion on "Analytics Education in India in Cypher 2015 Analytics India Summit in Bengaluru-September 2015
- Chair Person Technical Session on "Global Financial System Capital Flows" in the International Conference on "Global Financial System in the Post-Crisis Era: Issues, Opportunities and Challenges" Organized by the Department of Commerce, University of Madras-March 16th and 17th , 2010